My Bio-Wheel stopped turning

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I have seen people looking for advice when their Bio-Wheel stopped spinning. Of course the popular advice is to clean the bushings. When that produced no results, then it was to clean the wheel itself. The thread would eventually die off and sink to the bottom. I didn’t have any experience with this until now.

I started to remedy the problem with the above cleanings, but they did not help. I had also cleaned the filter the day prior but since the other remedies did not help, I figured why not…the more water flow the better. Cleaning the filter did not make a bit of difference so I started a logical approach. The wheel requires water to make it spin and the pump was pushing plenty of water. I took the wheel off again to see if anything was causing friction. There was some build up on the ramp so I cleaned that with my finger. What I didn’t expect was how much goo had built up there. With it all clean I put the wheel back in expecting the problem to be solved. It was not. The only thing left was the pump. I took it apart expecting tadpole guts to be wrapped around the impeller. What I found was more of the same bacterial goo buildup that was on the Bio-Wheel and the ramp. It was thick inside the pump housing, around the shaft, and in the overflow tube. It was restricting the flow through the passage ways, and it was slowing down the pump shaft. The shaft housing needed to be cleaned out with Q-tips but afterwards it worked like a champ.

hazmat101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2006
NH
thanks for writing this, i will keep it in mind if any of my 3 bio-wheel equiped filters stop working. by the way what model was it? i got 2 400s and one for a 30gal tank. the one for the 30gal tank dosent have the spray bars though.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Thanks,I have a bunch of those filters and have noticed that hairy crud on the ramps,if my wheels evers stop spinning Ill get out the qtips

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Thats why the emperors come with a pipe cleaning brush ;)

hazmat101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2006
NH
vanimate;496008; said:
Thats why the emperors come with a pipe cleaning brush ;)
yeah but its kinda crapy. worth the money to go get a kit with one in it that is on like a fishing line.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
I have used a small intake brush, clean the entire area of the impellar. I have done this all along.

I thought everyone did this, is this not so?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
yeah u gotta clean the whole filter every couple of months for it to work well. clean inside the intake tubes as well, this makes a major difference. my marineland filter instructions tells u to clean all areas talked about in this thread, do urs not?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
oh, and use an old toothbrush and q-tips. they work just as well as pipe cleaners do and im sure that u guys have that stuff layin around the house already.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
hazmat101;495916; said:
... by the way what model was it? ...
I have three Penguin 150's. I use them mainly on 10g & 15g feeder tanks that are over stocked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store