my 120 floating growout tank

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Decided to build a 4x2x2 floating growout tank to put in my 1500 pond to grow out a few smaller fish on the cheap over all I spent $50 on;
3-4x2 florescent light covers $11 each
1-4x2 plexiglass sheet $15
100 zip ties $2
and 30 min of my time
the plexi I used.
Plexi.JPG
plexi 1.JPG
Drilled holes in it for water and food waste to go to the filter intake under it.
plexi w holes.JPG
The covers I used.
egg grate.JPG
Cut one in half
egg grate ends.JPG
Putting it together with zip ties
corner.JPG
3 sides.JPG
All together
all done.JPG
Using water bottles to float it....ya kinda ghetto but oh well
bottle of water.JPG
6 bottles of water and a trip to the bathroom later
bottles on.JPG
Into the pond
floating in pond.JPG
in pond.JPG
This is mainly for my RTCxTSN I get all the benefit of having 1500 gal of water without having to worry about him getting eaten. Don't have to set up filters and crap for a separate grow out and in the future if i get fish I can just set it in the pond and its done. No extra water changes and it will be much less stressful moving them to the big pond in the future.

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
Thats neat, i might have to do something like that for my little pbass. I want to putthem in the big tank but not have them get eaten. Great idea.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Theres an idea. reminds me of the little guppy breeder tanks that hang over the top. cool idea.

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
^those small guppy breading tanks they sell at petsmart is wat gave me the idea....mines just a bit bigger. lol

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
mqktandy;4742574; said:
^those small guppy breading tanks they sell at petsmart is wat gave me the idea....mines just a bit bigger. lol
Yeah, but your's doesn't have those 4 nifty little tree things sticking out from the sides :D

Very nice job Sir, I love the idea and workmanship! After reading several of your other posts around MFK, I admit, I am always impressed!

Well done...

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
wheatgerm;4745190; said:
thats a great idea.. lets see the 1500 gal pond lol
+1, That pond look like you could put a floating tube in it and lie back and enjoy some champagne with your RTC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store