Red/Streaked Severum, Tetras, ReDesigned 55g - PICS

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
So I went for it!

I redesigned my tank - bought what was labeled as a Red Streak Severum, but it looks more red than ones I have seen. Got 3 Pristellas and 3 HY511s. Pleco and loach were there already.

My tank is STOCKED, as in done, no more livestock - but that's just an excuse to get another tank...:headbang2

I only plan on a Manzinita branch to heighten the tank's interior, and remove the current Malaysian piece.

The red is eating bloodworms and crushed pellets.
(I have to borrow my friend's SLR and work it a bit, this was with my Olympus point and shoot with 800 ISO set, if anyone was curious)

All is well, so enjoy:

"Feelin so fly like a hawk-fish" LOL

He ate bloodworms from my fingers this evening. Had him since 6pm CST yesterday and he's been out and about today, and obviously friendly right now.
I may hand feed him regularly, maybe he'll end up real friendly. (Can you tell I miss my O :( )
OK, peace
Nick

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
My trick is being resourceful.
I attribute alot of the structure of that tank to rock selection.
I went to a rock quarry and climbed around the mountains of river stone, big and small, to get patterns and shapes. Gives the tank character.

Part of the brightness is a new fluorescent (just normal wattage) and I left the glass top off and may keep it that way. The bubbles at the top splash the glass top and algae grows, darkening the tank.

Thanks for the compliment. I got lucky with that red!!

Chicklette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Wow what a gorgeous tank and fish. You really decorated it nice. I wish my tanks looked that good.

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
Thanks for the compliments!
Hopefully I will not have to travel to work here in Chicago, then I can watch my fish a bit :)

MonteSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2009
Centra Virginia
Tank and fish look great.

I would up the number of tetras though. And I always like a group of cories. They are so much fun.

...Bill

...Bill

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
Thanks again for the compliments.
I would like to do more, funny you say that.
I would love to have 3 cories, like you said, and 3 more of each tetra type I currently have.
I almost got the cories, but I was already at $80, lol.

Thing is, it's a 55 and I have to account for the Sevs size down the road. There is plenty of swim space though and the tets I got don't get too big at all.

I would have to think about that and get some more opinions - But I like your thinking

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
Good set up for sure. How much did you pay for the sev? They have redface sev that looks like yours at the aquarium adventures for 50bucks, dang so expensive there. Im waiting for their 50% off deals.

I also like your dark sand.

Im also in the nw chicago and I am not going anywhere today, snow drift is up to our windows.

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
Haha - Me either. I tried to go to work at 6am and walked around the block to scope out the roads...nope.
My validation came when a car in front of my place tried for 5 minutes to get out, didn't move, and the person went in.
I paid $40 and they get them in regularly apparently. I will PM you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store