Cuban gar feeding frenzy...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
...well, it's at least a group of gars and a group of feeders, with varying levels of "frenzy". just shot this with our field camera, so video isn't HD or anything - also just let it run for a while to get several attacks (some more successful than others) and other amusing events.

toward the end one of the gars chases a feeder in circles, and at the very end i switch to some underwater/in tank shots (fforward to 8:13).

i'll be moving these fish to the experimental tanks (hopefully) tomorrow. pics will be coming eventually as well--
--solomon

[YT]7b7meMqktIo[/YT]

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Wiggles92;4951068; said:
Wow, those little Cubans are getting bigger pretty fast! How many feeders do they go through daily between all of them?
yes they are indeed! i would have liked to have gotten them into the experimental tanks several days ago, but have just been too busy to get everything set up and tested. i have goldfish testers in the tanks now, and will hopefully get the CBGs in there tomorrow.

they go through a ton of feeders every day...no exact amount, but i bought 200 yesterday and they are probably 2/3 the way through the batch at this point (only 24 hours later). i feed them in groups so as to minimize feeder mortality/pollution, and to also make the feeding somewhat periodic. the experimental protocol we used for the SPG study was about 3 minnows constantly in the tank, so that is what we will be shooting for with the CBG study.

angryinsect;4951117; said:
what kinda feeders are you using?
those are rosy red minnows (fathead minnows, Pimephales promelas).

i just snapped some photos so i should have some of those up shortly--

--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ok here are some pics...tank is bare-bones basic setup (holding tank)...hence the utilitarian look to many of the photos. a couple shots are just to show groups of fish, others are individual shots. i will try to add more later, there is quite a bit of variability, with some individuals quite dark in pattern, and others much brighter.

CBG392011 group 1wm.jpg

CBG392011 full 1wm.jpg

CBG392011 2 cross 1wm.jpg

CBG392011 close head 1wm.jpg

CBG392011 close jaws 1wm.jpg

CBG392011 group 2wm.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Haha awesome Sol!! Can't wait for further updates. Are you managing to get any data on growth? You have yet to mention what the CBG project is about!

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Very awesome stuff.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den