New 125g progression thread

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
So after a whole weekend of swapping out tanks and setting up new ones. I finally have my 125 up and running. Rhis will be an awesome work in progress. Im debating on sand or gravel. Idk yet. I just ordered some plants online so I'm waiting for them to get here. I'm picking up a used fluval 404 sometime later this week so that will make 2 running. I have an emperor 400 running as well as a sponge filter. Im adding another emp 400 as soon as I buy pads for it. I plan to take out my mopani roots and add nice driftwood. Dont know if I want manzanita or actual driftwood. I also plan to get done nice pieces of stone for astethic purposes.

My stock will be as follows:
x2 crenicichla sveni
x1 sp. manguense
x2 cichlasoma festae
x1 vieja synspilum
x9 chromobotia sp. (clown loach)
x2 bn pleco

The pic of the tank has some fish which I am planning on moving within time such as my severum pair, salvini, and bichir eel. Please feel free to comment or what not on this thread. I've never done a progression thread before so this will be fun. I will update as I go along. And yes I do plan to get a black background lol. Enjoy :)

carsona246

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
Arkansas
if you're doing plants, I say go for sand. I always thought sand looked more natural. Lookin good, I've always liked the dimensions of a 125, is that a senegal bichir in the left of the picture by chance?

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Has some potential. Interesting stock list, are you attempting to keep those species together long term?

The clown loaches would probably appreciate another cave... PVC pipe works great if you're just looking for something cheap to throw in. Also, their Latin name is Chromobotia macracanthus. ;)

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Lol ty clock work. I'm not going live plants. I'm just going fake. Easier maitnence. I always have brain farts when it come to latin names. I might go sand again idk. Just seems so hard for me to keep clean. Yes it is a sen bichir as well. All the sruff in there atm is just for looks. It is all comming out soon or a later.

I'm going to try and keep the stock long term. If things go wrong I will move fish. I got this tank just for my festae.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Update. My plants I ordered came in today. I got the 3' Giant bamboo plants from fosters and smith. They are awesome looking. Very happy with my purchase. I also picked up 100 lbs of white silica sand. I don't know if I am going to pepper it with black blasting sand yet though. Maybe. I am going to pick up my black background this weekend. I should have painted it but as always. I was in a hurry to set up my tank and forgot. Next on my list is to go rock hunting this saturday and find some really nice pieces at my local quarry. Excited for that. But first and foremost I have a piece of manzanita I am going to buy from manzman. That I cannot wait for. It's amazing. More to come with pics soon.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Forgot one update. I got rid of my salvini, he was being a dick so he got the boot.

fishmamma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Kanta;5013052; said:
Forgot one update. I got rid of my salvini, he was being a dick so he got the boot.

Yeah you don't want him floppin around in there... !

Can't wait to see the manzanita!!..... I ordered my FX5 today.. super stoked!!!!

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
Oh, the fx5 huh? Id love one but they are out if my price range. I'm stuck with my fluval 404's. And yes. I will be ordering my manzanita soon.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
So I picked up 100lbs of white silica sand. My plants are in the tank now. The driftwood and the pots are temporary. I'm waiting on a black background to get ordered in at my lfs. And I need to order mr wood from manzman soon. Couple pics.

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
The Water is still cloudy sure to the sand. Should clear up over night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store