Gars illegal in California?

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Yes they are. All true gars are illegal in California.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
xander;5072200; said:
it is, it's in the basic information about gar sticky. and ryan's also beefed it up...decided to mash up several stickies together as the stickies were very specific and getting too cluttered...here's the link.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406872
I have a U.S. map to add to it, too. I figure that some people might be better with a color coded picture plus it might help with transporting gars through certain states. I'll try to get a world map done at some point, but the main legality questions seem to come from the U.S. more than any other country.

Green= Legal.
Brown= Possession of spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus), longnose gar (Lepisosteus osseus), and shortnose gar (Lepisosteus platostomus) is prohibited. The regulations do not mention the other gar species.
Purple= The regulations imply that possession of true gars is prohibited because there is a specific list of fishes that are allowed to be owned.
Red= Illegal.
Yellow= No information could be found.

U.S. Gar Legality Map.png

BOTR

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
Pejelajarto;5072154; said:
Dang it Alex put the sticky back..... Thought it was still there.
I have to admit,I liked the stickies the way they were.

Yellow_Perch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Michigan
yes they are including stingrays to my knowledge.

pbass510

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Bay Area
Wiggles92;5072596; said:
I have a U.S. map to add to it, too. I figure that some people might be better with a color coded picture plus it might help with transporting gars through certain states. I'll try to get a world map done at some point, but the main legality questions seem to come from the U.S. more than any other country.

Green= Legal.
Brown= Possession of spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus), longnose gar (Lepisosteus osseus), and shortnose gar (Lepisosteus platostomus) is prohibited. The regulations do not mention the other gar species.
Purple= The regulations imply that possession of true gars is prohibited because there is a specific list of fishes that are allowed to be owned.
Red= Illegal.
Yellow= No information could be found.
i really like this haha shows good info.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
BOTR;5072617; said:
I have to admit,I liked the stickies the way they were.
do tell, am always looking for ways to improve the forum. how would you suggest we prevent the sticky section from getting too cluttered yet let the thread titles better describe its content?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store