acrylic scratch removal

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
First off... results acceptable on a shower door may not meet the standards for a 40 gallon acrylic fish tank. It's a tedious process and not always completely successful.

I've used a product from an acrylic tank manufacturer previously that met my requirements most of the time, miracle mesh or something like that. It's also possible to use liquid products. Here in Houston the Container Store carries a series of bottles, coarse, medium and fine that when used properly would likely "erase" a mild scratch.

Obviously, you can't just use an orbital sander with a polishing pad. Don't laugh, some have tried it only to find circular scratches embedded in the surface obscuring the initial target of the process rather than removing it.

Whatever product you finally choose to use I'd change directions each time you change the compound or material. Carefully trying to remove the edges of the scratch leaving only the depression of the original scratch.

Good luck. Dan

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Just went through a process of scratch removal.. And let me tell you on a 250 it is a long process if you've never done it..... And I ended up with two blemishes... But none noticible...

midnight

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2006
under a bridge in fl
Just went through a process of scratch removal.. And let me tell you on a 250 it is a long process if you've never done it..... And I ended up with two blemishes... But none noticible...
umm,do i have to guess how you did it?lol

and on my tank,a 90 gallon,someone cleaned it wrong or tried sanding it.
light scratches and frost everywhere.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Fill it and see how noticeable it is. I think you'll be suprised how many will not be visible anymore.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Hold up i left right after the last time i posted... Getting the link to my section on it on my local site... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store