worms in vent

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I have been waiting for my pregnant molly to have her second batch of babies for a long time. Her mate died well over a month ago and that got me thinking that this has to be the worlds longest molly pregnancy. Still she keeps getting bigger and bigger. Last night I noticed her vent was open and what looked like a worm was hanging out. I have noticed her vent open before and just figured it was time...just no babies. Today I looked at her again and she has a worm trailing out of her and a knot of worms plugging her vent. They are red or almost brick red, but there are not any red worms at the bottom of the tank. She is in a bare bottom ten gallon tank.

What (if any) is the treatment for internal parasites or worms. Anyone hear of this before. It is my first time with these.

I have an infestation of white thread like worms in the substrate that everyone has said are harmless. There are white worms in the nursery tank, but it is also plumbed in with the other tanks so I can not say that they came from her.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
ok sounds wierd, and my answer may even sound worse..

IT prolly will be cheaper to give her the Spacious septic system living quarters, and just buy a new pair... sorry to hear such bad news... and STOP LOOKIN AT FISH VENTS U PERVE! haha jk:ROFL:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yea, that isnt an uncommon problem. try googling camallanus worms or Callanus nematodes? Piperazine i think can help. may be a start, im not sure on all the different worm parasites

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
davo;572243; said:
yea, that isnt an uncommon problem. try googling camallanus worms or Callanus nematodes? Piperazine i think can help. may be a start, im not sure on all the different worm parasites
Def would be Cheaper/Faster to fix the problem with a new pet... Sry for your Troubles

missyme06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2006
United States
i googled "fish parasite red worms cure" and this is what i got, i didn't find much else.

"Nematoda

Symptoms: Worms hanging from the anus.

Nematodes (threadworms) infect just about anywhere in the body but only shows itself when they hang out of the anus. A heavy infestation causes hollow bellies. Lighter infestations usually cause no problems with the fish.
Short of destroying the fish, which is easier, two treatments have been suggested. First treatment; soak the food in parachlorometaxylenol and give the fish a bath or treat the aquarium with 10 ml per liter. The bath should last for several days. Second treatment; find special food containing thiabendazole as a nematode (threadworm) cure and hope the fish will eat it."
(http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Argulus)

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Thanks for the replies. I have started treatment. I have also started a new one. I keep medications on hand for "just in case". I didn't have anything for internal parasites and was not sure if it was treatable. I had 'Quick Cure' for external parasites so I upped the dose. Over the course of hours I added four daily doses. My fish did not show signs of stress until the following morning; she had swim bladder problems. I did a water change.

I also manually removed some worms with forceps. The worms are still alive. I put them in tap water to kill them before sending them to the sewer plant. They didn't die. I added a 4x dose of the Quick Cure and after three hours, they are still going strong. :irked: I bought some Parasite Clear for internal parasites. It says the treatment may be repeated up to two times with 48 hours between each treatment. This sounds like the camallanus worms treatment, but I wonder what happens on the third dose.

I'll keep ya posted as to what happens.

Tanks,
Ron

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Oh, by the way, I just found out another one of my fish has the same worm infection. They are now both in the same tank sucking up the meds. The weird thing is that they were never in the same tank and they came from different stores. The other fish seem ok at this point.
Tanks again,
Ron

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
wow i am glad to hear you did not give up and ditch the fish.. you sound like you learned a hell of alot..and good luck to you..what did you mention about thread like worms..i would like to read up on that if you know where you saw it.. let us know about your progress.. thanks

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I just wrote to Missy about these. Her friend that is a microbiologist confirmed that these are nematodes and they are hard to kill. I have a one pint isolation chamber that some of the worms are in. I wanted to kill them before putting them down the sink so I poured out the water and filled it with tap water. The chlorine didn't kill them. Then I added enough Quick Cure (for external parasites) to treat four gallons. They still lived (without their host). I am now treating with meds for internal parasites and I filled the container with some of the water from the hospital tank. They have been in it most of the day and they are still alive :nilly: I am going to double up on the medications now and in the morning I am going to go find something for nematodes.

I would rather save my fish than buy new ones. Besides, the knowlege gained out weighs the cost of medications. :thumbsup:

feverfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2006
las vegas
CHOMPERS;574780; said:
I just wrote to Missy about these. Her friend that is a microbiologist confirmed that these are nematodes and they are hard to kill. I have a one pint isolation chamber that some of the worms are in. I wanted to kill them before putting them down the sink so I poured out the water and filled it with tap water. The chlorine didn't kill them. Then I added enough Quick Cure (for external parasites) to treat four gallons. They still lived (without their host). I am now treating with meds for internal parasites and I filled the container with some of the water from the hospital tank. They have been in it most of the day and they are still alive :nilly: I am going to double up on the medications now and in the morning I am going to go find something for nematodes.

I would rather save my fish than buy new ones. Besides, the knowlege gained out weighs the cost of medications. :thumbsup:

try bleaching the toads that allways seems to work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store