itchy hands and redness from tank water?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Do you feed alot of frozen bloodworms to your tank? Most packages of bloodworms carry a warning of possible allergic reactions. When I handle bloodworms, my hands get red and itchy. If I don't keep up on water changes, the proteins in the worms that cause the reaction can affect me from simple contact with the water once those protein levels are allowed to increase between changes.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I keep a bottle of antiseptic gel in the hatchery. After handling the packages, I rub some in and the itching stops immediately. I thaw large chunks in a container and pour the thawed worms/shrimp into the tanks.

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
very interesting. really a coincident but i heard friends of mine talk about the same thing last week. they had itchy hands and arms too after being busy in the tank. i know they dont feed frozen bloodworm. can shrimp or other protein have the same effect? wouldnt you see some kind of bubbles/foam on the water with that much protein?

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
I have the same problem, but only when I've reconetly fed blood worms.

I'm very allergic to blood worms; I get raised bumps on my hands and arms, my asthma kicks in, and my eyes water and swell up. I need to wear gloves when I handle them, even just the un-opened package.

Krill makes my hands ichy and red, but it's nothing a little cortizone cream can't clear up.

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Hey, if you think of it, bloodworms etc. aside, think of what's in your tank. Fishie poo, solid and dissolved, fishie pee, algaes, random other bacteria and stuff that can cause problems with open wounds. Last March I got bit in my "bad" (arthritic from break) middle finger knuckle by an injured mare; it took forever to heal, and kept getting even more sore that usual. Didn't take me very long to figure out source, but I'm allergic to latex and don't want any unnecessary chemicals or whatever in my tanks. There's even fish tuberculosis, but from what I understand, it is not transferable to humans.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
midnight;589688; said:
dang,thanks again. :headbang2
i been just putting peroxide on my hands,kinda helped.lol
that gel is on my list now. :D
and on a side note.where do you get large chunks?lol :)
With over 100 tanks, I buy frozen (and all other foods) in bulk packs of 1lb to a kilo. All the frozen suppliers carry these packs but, they have minimum purchase requirements of around 20 pounds to get the bulk sizes and rates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store