Shark egg advice

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
For the most part I know what I'm doing, but a little advice never hurts.
I just bought a banded shark egg and am on my way home with it. For those of you who have done this before, what advice can you give me that the books just don't tell you

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
No nippy fish. Be very patient i hate seeing people trying to open the egg when they "think" the shark is ready. Water quality a must, skimmer is a good idea if you dont already have one. If it hatches with a bit of egg try to keep him safe until its completely gone. Dont hold it air much, meaning dont it out if the water to candle it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
Had my egg for what seemed like forever, was about three weeks. I noticed the shark getting pretty restless, and I cut the egg open; those things are like leather. The shark was by far ready to hatch, and he was eating mysis shrimp the next day. Looking at the egg in light can help determine if the shark has any embryo left, but you don't want the egg to be out of the water either. You will be able to see the shark getting tired of being in its egg.

Good luck,

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
Thanks guys. I'm going to start documenting everything daily from now until the day it hatches. I'll probably start another thread in this section for it. I'm pretty excited

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
so guys, about how long do you honestly think this little guy would make it in a standard 75 gallon?
right now I have him clipped to the glass inside of an eggcrate cage inside my 20g reef, in a spot where the egg is getting plenty of water movement. I plan on moving the egg to an empty 55 so it will hatch in there, and will move it to the 75 when I feel it's doing well and eating good.
I have a 220g freshwater tank, that honestly, I'm a little tired of... I love my big freshwater fish, but I'm pretty hooked on saltwater now that I've really gotten into it, and am thinking about converting the 220 sometime in the next year for the shark and so I can properly house a ray, and because I'm sure my puffer and toadfish wouldn't mind more space.

So, what do you think?

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
I would say the 75 will be ok for maybe 6 months. Bamboo sharks grow pretty fast. Im not even 100% sure the 225 will be big enough for it when fully grown. The smallest tank I think you could get away with for an adult would have to be 36" wide an probably twice that in length. The height is not a big issue though.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store