Redid my snail breeding tank, need help.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I decided to go with a sand substrate, with some crushed coral to add calcium. Any problem with snails in a sand substrate?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
if you're breeding and you have a good number of snails, you'll end up with alot of poo. with sand all that poo drifts across the top of the sand. with gravel the poo falls between the cracks and you can vac it out later. i used crushed coral with my snail breeders. if you have MTS or A. spixi, snails that dig, you would be better with sand. if you breed p. canaliculata or p. bridgesii, you'd be better off with crushed coral. post some before and after pics.

baby snails.jpg

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I'll post pics when the tank gets going again. I used sand and crushed coral.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
gee gads thats a lotta snails! If I get my fahaka I'm gonna need a lotta snails, care to elaborate how you started that (like how many snails you started with) and tempertature you keep them at and any other special tricks or secrets you have?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
sure. there are 7 species of snails in there.
pomacea canaliculata: 1 male, 2 females, not alot of offspring
pomacea bridgesii: 1 male, 3 females, 400 in one month
Asolene spixi
MTS-Malaysian Trumpes snails, 7 breed like crazy.
species on trumpet i caught in Tn river, breed like crazy
common ramshorn, breed like crazy
unknown, never reproduced
----------------
*TANK: 29g with 50g biowheel and 200w heater, drop the water level to leave 1.5 inch space above waterline, heat 82oF, crushed coral as substrate( hi pH and calcium for shell growth)
*FOOD: UNSALTED frozen green peas, seedless cucumber, the green family (turnip, mustard collard...) baby carrots( boil to soften) algae disks and anything that dies in another tank. i feed my big one whole fish. (see below)
*BREEDING: snails breed when temp if high and food is plentyful.
-Pomacea c.&b.: these snail require a male and female. the male fertilizes the felame and she lays her eggs above the waterline( reason for 1.5" gap) with 82oF temp air abone water will be warm and moise and the eggs should hatch in 2 weeks. babies fall back into water and start growing.
-MTS are live bearers. they live in the gravel during the day eating nutrients that have fallen between the cracks. (great for keeping tanks clean) they come out at night. i started with 7 and it was no time before i have 1,000s. no work needed to breed these. asexual
-Ramshorns and spixie lay eggs underwater and take no time before you have offspring. male and female needed.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
also, go visit your mama! while you're there ask if she has any old hoes. cut them into squares and cover the intake of the filter with it so that babies dont get sucked up. just beware. lots of snails= lots of poop. at the point of breeding in the previous picture, i sifted the gravel every week and had to change the filter cartridge every other week.

this one is the only one i have left. she eats a 12" english cucumber every week. that's alot of poo!

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Sand is ok and the crushed coral is a good idea.bare bottom or rocks can damage thier shells when they jump.I hatch mine in a 20g bare bottom then move them to a growout when they get to pea size.
Just picked up a 45g tall for my new breeder tank.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
toehead11183;738353; said:
also, go visit your mama! while you're there ask if she has any old hoes. cut them into squares and cover the intake of the filter with it so that babies dont get sucked up. just beware. lots of snails= lots of poop. at the point of breeding in the previous picture, i sifted the gravel every week and had to change the filter cartridge every other week.

this one is the only one i have left. she eats a 12" english cucumber every week. that's alot of poo!

I'll have to do that, the snails do crawl into the intake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store