Best food for oscar?

jmjohnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2007
Lexington, KY
I recently purchased a small tiger oscar and was wondering what the best food for him would be. I purchased some small pellets but was wondering if certain brands are better than others. If someone would give a good recomendation on food brands, that would be helpful. Thanks.

thebestincali2000

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
chico ,california
new life spectrum pellets.i get the anti-parasitic kind,but they like a variety,so mix some frozen foods in the diet as well

bryan.olsen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
vancouver wa
i do hikari gold pellets and ill throw in some earth worms , krill, store baught shrimp, and those frozen consintrated veggie gumdrop things

Mocha Jive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2007
?
New Life omg love the stuff use it for all my fish. It has the color enhancing stuff in it and it really does work. My Tiger Oscar loves the stuff he will eat it over Brine Shrimp. My Oscar's favorite thing right now has to be earthworms. If you dig them up yourself out of the yard make sure it is in a unfertilized area of the yard or get them from the store. He also gets Bloodworms. I am also trying to get him to try Peas, Lettuce and Cucumbers but he isn't interested at all in them.

OscarRobinson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I use Hikari Cichlid Gold and HBH Oscar show as far as pellets go. You also need to give them a variety of other foods like crickets, worms, insect larve, small crayfish, ect. Oscars in the wild are opportunists, they will eat almost anything they can get in thier mouths. Me personally, I never use feeder fish, but thats just me. Just give them a variety whatever you do.

Vcygnus1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2005
THE 850
I would recommend picking up the new (june) issue of Tropical Fish hobbyist as Scott Michael does an article on food for oscars. ;)

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
The key to any fish diet is variety, and quality is next. I feed Hikari Staple, Hikari Cichlid Gold, Cichlid Biogold, and Omega One pellets. I supplement with krill, prawns, silversides, and the occasional feeder.

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
West Sussex, United Kingdom
to bring out the best reds in your oscar i would reccomend feeding shrimp, krill, prawns and some enjoy crab sticks and for good growth i would say that nothing beats high in protein pellets and big juicy worms

sma

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2006
OC
hikari biogold, mkt shrimp, krill, frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp

bryan.olsen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
vancouver wa
yeah , you just gotta be careful with the HBH , ive noticed its easy for the fish to miss the sinking pellets that are mixed in with that and you know what happens from there.
yeah crickets are like 80% crude protein and O's love em, its all about protein and a healthy pellet diet as a main course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store