I Hear This Question A Lot..

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
"What should I feed my tsn?"

When I got mine at 2" I fed it guppies and hikari sinking carnivore pellets cut into smaller peices. As it grew larger to about 4" I fed it just hikari sinking carnivore pellets. When it hit about 7-9" I was feeding hikari sinking carnivore pellets, algae wafers(they were for the pleco, but my tsn ate them). When it hit about 12-14" I was feeding market shrimp, hikari sinking carnivore pellets and algae wafers. When it was about 15-17" I was feeding Tilapia/catfish/croaker fillets cut into peices, hikari massivore delite, crayfish, tadpoles, night crawlers and market shrimp. At it's current size of about 20-21" I am feeding hikari massivore delite, fish fillets, crayfish, night crawlers and tadpoles.

This may be to expensive for your budget. It was expensive for mine. Thats why I started buying market shrimp and what ever fish fillet was on sale at my local grocery store. The tilapia fillets were only like $2.99 a pound so you buy a bunch and your set for a week. Tiger Shovelnose love the fish fillets just cut them so they can get it in their mouths. Tiger Shovelnose also love Night crawlers they are only about $2.50 for 24 night crawlers at wal mart. Just don't feed too much or it will regurgitate like any big cat.

And if you want your tsn to grow faster my recomendation is clean water, good size tank and power feeding(feeding everyday). That is how mine is 20-21" in a little over a year.

Hope this helps out the fellow Tiger Shovelnose keepers out there.
-Pat

pimbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Miami
I was always told that predatory catfish benefit from periods of fasting. Clearly your success contradicts this so why do you think the whole fasting thing is so widely accepted and is it really necessary?

pimbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Miami
Yeah that would make sense, with fish growing to 5 feet in the wild they obviously have an abundant food source. I usually wait till the belly shrinks before I feed them again, thats worked in the past, usually daily.

AwolAngler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
South Eastern Ma.
www.myspace.com
pimbuddy;874758; said:
Yeah that would make sense, with fish growing to 5 feet in the wild they obviously have an abundant food source. I usually wait till the belly shrinks before I feed them again, thats worked in the past, usually daily.
Well the also live 20+ years. And al ot of people say that keeping the fish overstuffed all the time isn't good for it's digestive track...

But yea what to feed a tsn or rtc might as well be a sticky... It's asked like every few days :screwy:

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
AwolAngler;874824; said:
Well the also live 20+ years. And al ot of people say that keeping the fish overstuffed all the time isn't good for it's digestive track...

But yea what to feed a tsn or rtc might as well be a sticky... It's asked like every few days :screwy:
Thanks for the reply.

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
Everyone also asks what they should feed their rtcs and people reply anything. Well this isn't true. They will eat hotdogs, but they are not good for them. This is what I fed mine.

At 2" when I got my 2 rtcs I fed them hikari sinking carnivore pellets and guppies. At about 5-7" I fed hikari sinking carnivore pellets and cut up night crawlers. At 8-10" I fed hikari sinking carnivore pellets, night crawlers and algae wafers(again I was feeding the pleco). At about 11-15" I fed night crawlers, tilapia/catfish/croaker cut into peices, hikari sinking carnivore pellets, crayfish and tadpoles. At about 16-20" I fed him night crawlers, tilapia/catfish/croaker cut into peices, market shrimp, tadpoles, crayfish and hikai massivore delite.

Again the most cost effective way to feed your rtc is to buy a couple pounds of either shrimp or fish(which ever is on sale) and keep it in your freezer. When you want to use it let it sit out in room temp water until it thaws. And night crawlers from wal mart are cheap too and fill your fish up fast.

Remember these fish regurgitate real easily. My one rtc killed my NGT(New guinea datnoid) by regurgitating while I was at school I was pissed off at that rtc.

DON'T OVER FEED!!!!

I got rid of both of my rtcs because the one killed my NGT and the other got too big. So please everyone know what you are getting into when you get a south american rtc! They get massive.

Again hope this helps,
Pat

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
nice pat nice

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
When smaller you can feed both rtc and tsn every day because of their massive growth rates. I find that the larger they are the longer of a fasting period they need to digest their food. My 33" tsn x rtc hybrid only gets fed every other day. Usually about 1/4-1/2 lbs. of food at a time. I was feeding him everyday but after they get to a certain size their metabolism slows way down, and they will get severely sick if overfed. My will vomit if I feed him too much, so I try to keep his diet consistent. My baby rtc now 3 1/2" eats blood worms and crushed krill, my two tsn 7" and 14" eat shrimp, earthworms from my yard currently, and whatever pellets I am feeding everyone else in the tank. My big boy will also eat bannanas, strawberries, and pieces of watermelon on ocassion. Whenever I can I go hunting for small crayfish, and feed those too. For color I feed shrimp with the shells on sometimes, but you have to let them fast for a couple days because it's hard to digest and they will vomit if they eat when the shrimp shells are not fully digested. Hope this helps some zoo. Good to get more than one expirience so that everone can kinda see the variety and range of foods that you can feed. I also use to catch sunfish in the creek behind my house for my rtc I had 7 years ago. I didn't know what the hell I was doing back then. He was 26" in a 125 gal. lol. Live and learn, that's why I love this site so much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store