DIY overflow question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slowlyburn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
www.toyota.com
www.toyota.com
The intake tube where the water gets drawn out of the tank. Is that supposed to be completely under water? I am using 1 1/4" pvc and only a 450gph pump but my tank overflows the top rim. the overflow cant keep up... I set the height of the overflow intake to have the water level cover about half of the intake opening... I'm thinking it has to be totaly under water? Also I had to drill a higher hole cause when I kill the power my sump almost overflowed due to how low the outflow is in the tank... THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

P1010126.JPG

P1010129.JPG

P1010130.JPG

P1010131.JPG

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
ur intake is to high, it has to be basically completly submerged to be at full potential flow. and dont forget to prime it completly to get all the air out.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
with mine the top of the PVC was even with the water level.

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
i kind of agree with what is being said. The water level on my overflow changes from just above the bottom of the intake elbow to a good 2 inches above it. I think its called bounce

ChrisG23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2006
Allentown,PA
Just remember, the lower the intake is in the tank, the more water that will be on the floor if your power goes out. I think 1/4 to 3/8 of water above the intake is probably safe. Ofcourse this depends on the size of your sump.

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
Why not have your siphon empty into a overflow box that has a standpipe set at whatever level you want your water at?

Sort of like this:

That way you can have your siphon as far below the water line as you want. And if the pump stops the water only drains down to the height of the standpipe in the overflow box so your siphon won't break.

slowlyburn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
www.toyota.com
www.toyota.com
My power going out is not a problem... The sump is a 55gal drum so it can hold a few extra inches of water when the power is out. The tank will only drop as far as the intake. I fixed the outflow problem by drilling a breather hole above the waterline.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store