Pike Cichlids!! WOOT!!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I have just realized that since I became a member to this site there has been a lot more attention towards Crenicichla, which I am totally psyched about cuz its about time this amazing group of fish started gettin more attention and recognized for the kewl fish that they are. I just wanted to say thank you to all you pike enthusiasts out there for helpin me spread the word about pikes and bringin them more to other fish keepers attention. I know that through our passion for pikes we have caught the attention of many people and now as a consequence there are more people that keep Crenicichla on this site then there was before. SO now I am curious just how many people actually keep pikes cichlids now.....so go ahead and list the pikes you have and how many. There aren't very many of us out there when compared to other cichlid keepers, which should make yaz feel even more special. We are a rare breed! :D Anywho...I'll start:
Currently I own:
3 Crenicichla sp. ? (xingu II maybe?)

I have owned:
Crenicichla xingu III (pair)
Crenicichla sp. 'bellyhopper'
Crenicichla sveni
Crenicichla saxatilis
Thats all i've got for right now....but in time i shall build it up! ;)!

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
well i have none right now but i had a chren alta pike<gold spangled>
and a belly crawler pike
loved them both belly got ate gold spangled died from lack of oxygen. havent seen one ilike since except the cobra sp

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Bethlehem & Philadelphia, PA
I started a post a while ago asking what the big deal with Pike was. Little did I know a friend of mine has a pike. They're not so bad afterall... fast little f***er!!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
That they are!! If you've ever tried to catch and move a pike cichlid...you will quickly learn just how fast they are...ughh....better have a big net other wise its HELLA annoying. Crenicichla sp. 'cobras' are pimp! Crenicichla marmorata, lenticulata, and 'flame pike' definately rival it though. Now...Crenicichla sp. 'atabapo' and Crenicichla tigrina...they are in their own level of kewl! ;)

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i got 5 from miles.
do not know specifics on them though
:(

engine49

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2005
Illinois
I just got my first pike a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure of the exact species off hand though. I'll have to look it up again. It's about 6 inches long. I put it in with some convicts and when I came back later he had a female in his mouth. The convicts gonna pull thru and after some moving around it's now living happily with my large mouth bass.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
i have had quite a few pikes over the years, unfortunately at the moment i have none. i have kept over the years.

C. johanna
C. spp. "venezuela"
C. sveni
C. spp. xingu I
and C. spp. BellyHopper" but had very outdated info on it.

all in all i think they are bad ass fish. none ive had were ever push-overs.. all could hold their own in the company of trouble....wait i kept a dwarf once but it got ate by the growing juvenile dovii in the same tank. it was C. compressiceps. didnt know it was a dwarf till i got it home and looked up info. ooops. hahah. anyways, i would love to own some of these new cobras or atabapo's, my venezuela put on size like a freakin brahma bull on roids and so did my johanna. i had my johanna in my 300 with a big dovii, big tri mac and a few p's, among other cichlids and he was the only fish in the tank that the p's didnt eat something off of. all other fish in the tank had half their tails missing or scales or chunks of lip. thats why i ended up getting rid of that situation. so i dont recommend p's with that many fish, but it was cool to see they didnt mess with my pikes. maybe because they inhabit the same waters?????? anyone care to explain their ideas.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
I got a C. Cobra sp.... Love that bugger... an eating machine and its color change is remarkable...

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
I have both a male and a female Batrachops/Crencichla Semifasciata - frogheads. The male is by far my favorite fish. He is very beautiful and appears to be intelligent. They are not agressive but will kill who they dislike. The male is 10"+ and extremely picky about food.

There are a few pics in my "personal gallery" but they don't do my fish justice. In reality the male is actually blue and looks more like a frog than a fish and the female has a red dorsal fin a sides.

It was because of the Batrachops that I found and joined MFK. I was looking for info on him, couldn't find any and somebody told me to try my luck here. But even you Peanut
don't know this one I believe. It is rare otside of South America. I believe that all Batrachops are wild caught but there is very little info online and the best pics you will find are here on MFK.

I saw other pikes in a store that I don't know what they are and will get one later. For now I am busy with my new 1' black arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store