DWA listing

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Just for the benefit of the UKers, here is what you need to have DWA licence to keep. If you are unsure on the legalities on keeping an animal, contact your local council.

Reptiles
Crocodilians
  • Alligatoridae - Alligators and caimans
  • Crocodylidae - Crocodiles and the false gharial
  • Gavialidae - The gharial (or gavial)
Lizards and snakes
  • Colubridae of the species of the genera Atractaspis, Malpolon, Psammophis and Thelatornis and of the species Boiga dendrophila, Dispholidus typus, Rhabdophis subminiatus and Rhabdophis tigrinus - Mole vipers and certain rear-fanged venemous snakes (including the moila and montpellier snakes, sand snakes, twig snakes, the mangrove catsnake, the boomslang, the red-keelback and the yamakagashi
  • Elapidae - Certain front fanged venemous snakes (incl. cobras, coral snakes, mambas, kraits, desert black snake, and all Australian venemous snakes (incl. death adders))
  • Helodermatidae - The gila monster and the (Mexican) beaded lizard
  • Viperidae - Certain front fanged venemous snakes (incl. adders, the barba amarilla, the bushmaster, copperhead, fer-de-lance, moccasins, rattlesnakes and vipers)

Birds
Cassowaries and emu
  • Casuariidae - Cassowaries
  • Dromaiidae - The emu
Ostrich
  • Struthionidae - Ostrich

Mammals
Marsupials
  • Dasyuridae of the species Sarcophilus harrisi - The Tasmanian Devil
  • Macropodidae of the species Macropus fuliginosus, Macropus giganteus, Macropus robustus and Macropus rufus - Grey Kangaroos, the euro, the wallaroo and the red kangaroo.
Primates
  • Callitrichidae of the species of the genera Leontophithecus and Saguinus - Tamarins
  • Cebidae - New-world monkeys (including capuchin, howler, saki, spider, squirrel, titi, uakari & woolly monkeys and the night monkey (otherwise known as the douroucouli))
  • Cercopithecidae - Old-world monkeys(including baboons,
  • the drill, colobus monkeys the gelada, guenons, langurs, leaf monkeys, macaques, the mandrill, mangabeys, the patas and proboscis monkeys and the talapoin)
  • Indriidae - Leaping lemurs (including the indri, sifakas and the woolly lemur)
  • Lemuridae, except the species of the genus Hapalemur - Large lemurs (the broad-nosed gentle lemur and the grey gentle lemur are excepted)
  • Pongidae - Anthropoid apes (including Chimpanzees, gibbons, the gorilla and orang-utan)
Edentates
  • Bradypodidae - Sloths
  • Dasypodidae of the species Priodontes giganteus (otherwise known as Priodontes maximus) - The giant armadillo
  • Myrmecophagidae of the species Myrmecophaga tridactyla - The giant anteater
Rodents
  • Erithizontidae of the species Erithizon dorsatum - The North American porcupine
  • Hydrochoeridae - The capybara
  • Hystricidae of the species of the genus Hystrix - Crested porcupines
Carnivores
  • Ailuropodidae (Ailuridae) - The giant panda and the red panda
  • Canidae, except the species of the genera Alopex, Dusicyon, Otocyon, Nyctereutes and Vulpes and the species Canis familiaris - Jackals, wild dogs, wolves and the coyote (foxes, the raccoon-dog and the domestic dog are excepted).
  • Felidae, except the species Felis catus - The bobcat, caracal, cheetah, jaguar, lion, lynx, ocelot, puma, serval, tiger and all other cats (except the domestic cat)
  • Hyaenidae except the species Proteles cristatus - Hyaenas (except aardwolf)
  • Mustelidae of the species of the genera Arctonyx, Aonyx, Enhydra, Lutra (except Lutra lutra), Melogale, Mydaus, Pteronura and Taxidea and of the species Eira barbara, Gulo gulo, Martes pennanti and Mellivora capensis - Badgers (except the Eurasian badger), otters (except the European otter), and the tayra, wolverine, fisher and ratel (honey badger)
  • Procyonidae - Cacomistles, raccoons, coatis, olingos, the little coatimundi and the kinkajou
  • Ursidae - Bears
  • Viverridae of the species of the genus Viverra and of the species Arctictis binturong and Cryptoprocta ferox - The african, large-spotted, genus Malay and large Indian civets, the binturong and the fossa
Pinnipedes
  • Odobenidae, Otariidae and Phocidae, except Phoca vitulina and Halichoerus grypus - The walrus, eared seals and sealions and earless seals (the common and grey seals are excepted)
  • Elephantidae - Elephants
Odd-toed ungulates
  • Equidae, except the species Equus asinus and Eqqus caballus - Asses, horses and zebras (the donkey, domestic horse and their domestic hyrbids are excepted)
  • Rhinocerotidae - Rhinoceroses
  • Tapiridae - Tapirs
Hyraxes
  • Procaviidae - Tree and rock hyraxes (dassies)
Aardvark
  • Orycteropidae - The aardvark
Even-toed ungulates
  • Antilocapridae - The Pronghorn
  • Bovidae, except any domestic form of the genera Bos and Bubalus, of the species Capra aegagrus (hircus) and the species Ovis aries - Antelopes, bison, buffalo, gazelles, goats and sheep (domestic cattle, goats and sheep are excepted)
  • Camelidae except the species Lama glama and Lama pacos - Camels, the guanaco and the vicugna (the domestic llama and alpaca excepted)
  • Giraffidae - The giraffe and okapi
  • Hippopotamidae - The hippopotamus and the pygmy hippopotamus
  • Suidae, except any domestic form of the species Sus scrofa - Old-world pigs (including wild boar and the wart hog). Domestic pig excepted.
  • Tayassuidae - New-world pigs

Invertebrates
Spiders
  • Ctenidae of the species of the genus Phoneutria - Wandering spiders
  • Dipluridae of the species of the genus Atrax - The Sydney funnel-web spider and its close relatives
  • Lycosidae of the species Lycosa raptoria - The Brazilian wolf spider
  • Sicariidae of the species of the genus Loxosceles - Brown recluse spiders (otherwise known as violin spiders)
  • Theridiidae of the species of the genus Latrodectus - The black widow spider (otherwise known as redback spider) and its close relatives
Scorpions
  • Buthidae - Buthid scorpians

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Just out of interest what would one need to do to keep say a caiman? Someone I know at our LPS has a spectacled I think, or a dwarf, not sure, and I was just wondering what the process would be exactly?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ummm... at the moment you have to file a form with your local council. They then decide what they are going to charge you for the licence (some councils will not give you one or consider your application- yes it's illegal, but challenge it in your court and you'll probably end up with a 10,000 licence fee instead to put it out of reach). Licencing can be anywhere from under 100 to over 1000 all depending on where you live. Then they send someone qualified around to the premises you intend to keep the animal and then you show them how you are looking after the animal and may discuss husbandry (although they are only really there to check the animal couldn't escape from the room and cage (locked) and will pose no danger to the public (which is why the DWA act is there in the first place). Then if they are happy they will grant you licence and you can pay that. Then you have to pay public liability insurance which will differ depending on what you keep that you have to pay annually and it's not that cheap. Then you can aquire the animal.
I think that's it, but your council will be able to help more and make sure you know everything needed.

This snippet is from www.captivebred.co.uk and is advice on the kind of things to keep in mind (when looking at reptiles at least):

For now, with the DWA act as it is, I have listed the following protocols that I would suggest is a common sense approach.

Housing - Vivariums must be of sound construction, with lockable access points. Glass where used should be toughened. The vivarium must be on a secure base that will not topple if knocked. The vivarium should be of adequate size for the animal/s kept within. Air vents should be secure and fitted in such a way that prevents them being 'pushed' out from the inside.

Handling - Full range of suitable tools, including secure carrying box and holding container (for use while cleaning vivarium etc).

Experience - A good knowledge of general reptile husbandry should be demonstrated backed up with a 'buddy system', this would mean that you must have the name and phone number of an existing DWA holder that you can call upon if needed.

Placing the Vivarium - Depending on the animals kept, it can range from a spare bedroom to purpose built room in the garden. The key points should be, an uncluttered room, no means of escape unless via the door or open window, in the case of more dangerous animals i.e. elapids and some vipers, windows should be screened and a double door entry would also be needed. A spy hole or viewing panel in the door would also be advised.

As you can see, with such an array of possible animals kept, it is very difficult to come up with sensible protocols that are not unnecessary (i.e. screened windows for dwarf caimans is just pointless!) The above is just my opinion and recommendations that I would advise somebody.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Hi thanks Davo, Although Im not 18 yet theres never enough planning, and have been thinking for years of getting a dwarfie, but probs wont go for it. Just whilst were on the subject, do you think they would grant one in merseyside (wirral area if you know it ) or do you think this is one of the few places they wouldn't? I have no idea myself so thought Id ask you, and what about long-term rented accomadation?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I would also like to mention that at current, the DWA listings are being reviewed and the modification is currently sat in parliement, where it has been since the 14th May and where it stays for 40 working days, waiting to see if it is challenged. It should come into effect come October.
I believe the main points are:
ADDED:
Argentine Black Headed snake
Peruvian Racer
South Amerucan Green Racer
Amazon False Viper
Middle Eastern Thin Tailed Scorpian
and the Dingo

TO BE REMOVED:
Wooley Lemurs
Squirel Monkey
Tamerins
Owl Monkey
Sloths
Coatis
Porcupines
Capybara
Kinkajou
Racoons
Mangrove Snake
Sand Snakes
Emu
Brazilian Wolf Spider

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Jessica Dring;929537; said:
Hi thanks Davo, Although Im not 18 yet theres never enough planning, and have been thinking for years of getting a dwarfie, but probs wont go for it. Just whilst were on the subject, do you think they would grant one in merseyside (wirral area if you know it ) or do you think this is one of the few places they wouldn't? I have no idea myself so thought Id ask you, and what about long-term rented accomadation?
As it is council specific and I am a non-DWA licence holder, I'm not sure how they stand with property ownership, though there is the chance that the landlord would not be happy with it ;) I would be suprised if you were in one of the places that would not consider you, especially if you know of people that keep DWA.

TheBloodyIrish

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2007
Grande Prairie, Canada
Wow... why dingos on the DWA to be added? Make no sense there.... they are just like every other dogs.

I would post a link to Alberta's list of restricted animals if there is a place to post it.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
Well we had loads of pets before the landlord bought our house off us so we would just have to ask really, what makes you think they'll consider our area (I know your not physic lol but you seem to know more about this than me) dunno where I would get some bodys referall for DWA from, this person I dont specifically know very well.

Jessica Dring

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2007
Liverpool, UK.
TheBloodyIrish;929559; said:
Wow... why dingos? Make no sense there.... they are just like every other dogs.

I would post a link to Alberta's list of restricted animals if there is a place to post it.
Because they are wild animals.:)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
no i'm not psychic lol. I was simply going if someone in your area already keeps them... they won't have a problem with their being two people I'm sure LOL.

Dingos- I'm not sure but they may allow crosses. Like I said, it's no where near confirmed and there are a few things that I'd be suprised if they take off. What is this Albertas list mate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store