cheap diy sump

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
There are a million ideas for this. Just thought I'd share my wet-dry set up for my 125. Currently I house a aro, rt gian gouarmi, tigrinus and endli. I bought a tideppol overflow for a steal of a price, I used a sterlite clear storage container for my sump it was less than 10 bucks. I then used a sterlite kitchen trash can for my tower. I drilled a ****load of holes on the bottom and sides of the trash can about a foot up. I think filled it with shotgun wadding. You can buy this as a cheap alternative to bio-balls as it has great surface area. I cut out my own plexi glass for my drip tray and drilled that. My sump was less than 40 bucks. Sump-tower-bio media, and drip tray. I think the large tower is the best feature. It provides plenty of air contact with the water. The can is approx 30 inches high fileed almost 3/4 with shotgun wadding.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
If the sump is usually placed in a enlosed area so the evaporation shouldnt
be that great... same as a regular wet/dry

Any other ideas?? Ill try to find Jon Rare's DIY wet dry.. simple to use and doesnt look trashy at all ! :grinno:

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
redtailfool said:
If the sump is usually placed in a enlosed area so the evaporation shouldnt
be that great... same as a regular wet/dry

Any other ideas?? Ill try to find Jon Rare's DIY wet dry.. simple to use and doesnt look trashy at all ! :grinno:
ZINGA.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Here it is. A lot of DIY wet dries use plastic drawers nowadays. But jon posted this a while back. It looks simple and not very cluttered.

rtbguy782

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
how is the average diy set.dry sump cost, what would i need, and how do they work?

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
depends if you use
rubbermaid tubs
glass tanks ?
around 30-200 my GUESS

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
redtailfool said:
Here it is. A lot of DIY wet dries use plastic drawers nowadays. But jon posted this a while back. It looks simple and not very cluttered.

lol wes i dont remember ever seeing that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store