Overflow filtration piping?

TheFishWrestler

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2007
--------
Hey guys I am new here and I have a couple of questions how to set up my new 135 gal. It has 2 built in overflows (one in each corner) and 2 holes in the bottom of each overflow. I am going to run a sump off of the aquarium. My questions are; how do I pipe the water out of the overflow holes to the sump/ and return it to the tank? Do I just have one tube come off the bottom of the tank and drain into the sump, and then return it via a pump, or do I have to do something different?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
TheFishWrestler;1146995; said:
Hey guys I am new here and I have a couple of questions how to set up my new 135 gal. It has 2 built in overflows (one in each corner) and 2 holes in the bottom of each overflow. I am going to run a sump off of the aquarium. My questions are; how do I pipe the water out of the overflow holes to the sump/ and return it to the tank? Do I just have one tube come off the bottom of the tank and drain into the sump, and then return it via a pump, or do I have to do something different?

You need bulkheads such as the ones on this site to plumb in your pipes: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZacrylictnk

One pipe goes to your sump and another pipe comes back up through the overflow box for your return from the sump. You can place a pump in the sump to return the water to the tank.

This picture from the ebay site shows the return pipe:
http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/8f/ef/b3_1.JPG

Here's a pic of a tank exactly like ours, showing an overflow box. The small hole on the right is for the return pipe which enters the tank through the bottom of the overflow box.

Here's a pic of our righthand overflow box. The pipe on the left is the return pipe from our mechanical filter. The pipe on the right is one of two "poop sucker" pipes used for enhanced mechanical filtration. (We had to drill additional holes on the top part of the tank for all our extra plumbing)

We were newbies when we set up our 300 gallon tank, and we only plumbed in one of our overflow boxes. The second overflow box has been plumbed shut with bulkheads with short capped off pipes. Because of our extreme mechanical filtration, we have had excellent water parameters using only the one overflow box feeding the wet/dry filter. The return from the wet dry filter is a little hose with a spray bar hanging off the plugged up overflow box. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many ways to plumb any tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store