NEW 100US Gallon DIY tank stand....

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Got the tank and the hood about a month ago, but decided to build my own stand. I've been training as a joiner this year and all the tools I needed were there on site, so I thought, why not? Then I KNOW it's gonna be strong enough.
1st problem was design, but using ideas i saw here, designs I found online, advice from workmates and my own logic, it started to come together in my head.

Basic frame would consist of 5 subframes. All framing made from CLS (3"x2" approx - but metric version, so slightly smaller - comes with rounded edges).

Front and back with full length beams top and bottom, 4 supporting beams per frame.

Both ends and centre frame sit in between the front and back frames.

There would also be a couple of extra supporting braces under the top plinth running front to back.

The idea was that once the frame was clad in MDF, it would be the same length and width as the glass of the tank, with the top plinth matching the bottom edge of the hood.....

new01 (2).jpg

new03 (2).jpg

new04 (2).jpg

new05 (2).jpg

new06 (2).jpg

new07 (2).jpg

new08 (2).jpg

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Then came the interior shelf. This was done by simply sheeting the bottom of the whole frame with MDF, then adding another sub or 'kick frame' under that.
Then the whole thing could be clad with MDF.

So far all I had bought was the CLS for the framing which cost about £20-£25 from B&Q, the MDF was scrap lying around the site. The sizes of the MDF that were available also dictated that there would have to be double doors on each end as I ran out of anything big enough to do single doors. This actually worked out really well.

The front corners of the cabinet were mitred using a Festool circular saw - best in the world! - to conceal the joins....

new09 (2).jpg

new10 (2).jpg

new11 (2).jpg

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Then it was just a case of staining it all to match the hood as closely as I could and assembling the doors, magnetic catches and handles....

Oh yeah, and putting the skirting on around the bottom as well!

new12 (2).jpg

new13 (2).jpg

new14 (2).jpg

new15 (2).jpg

new19 (2).jpg

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd worked on this in my spare time at work, after hours, weekends, you name it. Probably cost around £50 and maybe 30+ manhours. Got a bit of help from my workmates, but the majority was done by my own hands.
Didn't get the last bits finished 'til the night before I went in for my operation.

Reconstructive ACL surgery.
It hurt when I woke up from the anaesthetic.
A lot.
But I'm getting better now.

Forgot to do some cutaways for plugs and cables on the top plinth behind the tank (similar to the one you can see to go over the skirting boards in my house) so I'll need to get the guys to give me a hand with that. (The gable ends and top plinth are extended past the frame to allow me to push the whole stand up against the wall a bit.)

This has worked out really well, I'll let you all know what happens when I fill it, but I have NO worries whatsoever regarding the strength of the stand.

That'll have to wait 'til I'm walking again, which shouldn't take too long. Pushed it too far the last couple of days and my legs hurting like hell right now - think I pulled the calf muscle!! Never mind - that which does not kill me can only make me stronger.....

new20 (2).jpg

new21.jpg

new22 (2).jpg

new24.jpg

new25 (2).jpg

new26 (2).jpg

new27 (2).jpg

new28 (2).jpg

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
Looks great. :headbang2

Feel better so you can stock up the tank. :D

AiR foRc3 wUnZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
WOW really sturdy. Are those pre-made doors or did you do them yourself?

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Davey_8313;1154016; said:
Looks great, can't wait to see it stocked either...
Me too!

AiR foRc3 wUnZ;1154067; said:
WOW really sturdy. Are those pre-made doors or did you do them yourself?
Everything cut and made on site. Doors are just MDF trimmed to size with the Festool circular saw - very easy to do with that tool.

Mystix212;1154970; said:
You might wanna 'cover up' on the 1st pic of your leg.

Great stand, clean, simple and effective.
Thanks - that was the aim.

basslover34;1155378; said:
Thats an awsome build! Hope your recovery from your surgery goes well
Just heading off to the physio soon!
Distichodus Sexfaciatus, lots of big clowns, shoal of congos ready to go in. Looking for some Apollo sharks to complete the picture....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store