how to make driftwood sink?

foodandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
fishland
i am having a problem getting my driftwood to sink. i have soaked it multiple time an still it floats. are there any suggestion or techniques to get the piece of driftwood to sink? thanks:D

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Weigh it down with a slab of slate tied down with fishing line.
OR Boil it for a week. Meaning keep the water sas hot as possible for a week. And do 100% water changes on the bucket that the driftwood is in every 2 days, to get rid of the tannins.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Stick on a section of adheasive mag wheel weights. (your local tire shop should have plenty if you ask.)

uncledave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
Virginia
You can drill a hole in the bottom of the driftwood and in a piece of heavy slate, then screw them together. Put other rocks on top to secure it.

That is what I had to do with mine.

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I just added a 30" tall driftwood to my 150G Tall. I didn't have a pot 30" deep to boil it, so I soaked it in my 35G trash can I use for water changes. I filled the trash can with hot water three times during the week. That had little effect.

I now have the DW in the tank. I wedged a 2" thick piece of styrofoam under the center tank brace to hold the DW down. Works great. I'll probably have to keep the styrofoam there for a couple of months.

foodandfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
fishland
cool interesting ideas. another quick question, why do some driftwoods float? Shouldn't the driftwood sink eventually?

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Wolf3101;1216811; said:
Stick on a section of adheasive mag wheel weights. (your local tire shop should have plenty if you ask.)
nice

Ex-Reefer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Patience is the best answer in my opnion. I placed a large 28" piece of drifwood in my 150 gallon about 1 month ago. At first it refused to sink and now it is doing a headstand in the tank because one end is saturated and the other is not. I tried to power wash the piece of wood out of desperation in order to saturate it with water and that did not help. I figure in about another month it should be completely sunk - total time in the water about 2 months. Hang in there, it will sink!

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
foodandfish;1218855; said:
cool interesting ideas. another quick question, why do some driftwoods float? Shouldn't the driftwood sink eventually?
Are you really asking why does wood float:ROFL:

Just force it under the water,after a while itll stay down

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store