plywood

1. A

First plywood tank build

Hello everyone. I’m getting ready to kick off my first plywood aquarium build, Im hoping that a few people have some advice and tricks to make it easier and more successful. Thank you in advance everyone!
  2. Ilawis

Salt water tank build advice

Hey everyone. My wife has given me the go ahead to start planning the build for a tank in our lounge and there are a few "fun" things that i need some advice on to make it. This will be my first salt water tank. So to start dimensions are L 3655mm x W 700mm x H 900mm (144" x 27.5" x 35") with...
  3. V

720 plywood aquarium build

In the process of designing a 720 gallon plywood aquarium for some monster fish. Took this design off of "greenterra" so check out his thread if you get a chance. Tank will be built strictly out of 3/4" plywood for the sides and bracing. Each side will have a double layer of 3/4" ply so total...
  4. R

3mX0.6mX2m plywood plan - Please advise: Super Laykold vs Durapond? (South Africa)

Hi :) I'm planing on building a plywood tank, using local (South Africa) materials. From the experience of anyone who has used both, or one of A.B.E's Super Laykold and/or Durapond to waterproof plywood What are the advantages of one over the other? What's the life expectancy? 3 years? 10...
  5. T

Custom tank advice for a new member.

Hello, guys, my name is Troy. I'm new to this forum and giant tanks, but I plan in building my fish one soon and had a couple questions. I know there is already several post about some of my questions but they seem rather old. First question is if anyone has experience with concrete tanks vs...
  6. yzf450motoxrider

Fiberglassing Plywood best/ easiest method?

I'm curious how come most here seem to use the woven mat and epoxy resin instead of chop strand and polyester resin? The polyester is cheaper and the mat comes in 50 inch wide rolls. Also you don't have to sand between coats.
  7. TexasMFK31

"L" Shaped 1000 Gallon Tank Design

Hey everyone, this tank is a few years out, but it's time to start planning now! I have attached sketchup screenshots to show what I am talking about. The long portion of the L is 10', the other is 9'. The 9' section is 4' wide, and the 10' section is 3' wide. The red circles are drains...
  8. S

Custom DIY 330g plywood bottom tank Build

Hey everyone, my name is Sean. I am new to the forums here but have been reading them for a while. A few months ago i decided I was going to build a tank to house a couple stingrays. I really didn’t know exactly what I was going to build until about 4 weeks ago when I came across a post for a...
  9. TexasMFK31

1" Bulkhead for 2" wall

Morning fellow MFKers, I am in the planning stages of upgrading my tank here in the next 2 years (I know a ways out but I want it done better than my last build). The tank is an "L" shape and there will be a seam in the plywood on the bottom. My thoughts/current plan is to utilize the true 1"...
  10. Abby Ru

Need Help?! 500g Glass Thickness?

This is my custom 500g plywood tank I’m building. It will have two 48” panes. I was going to use the panes from an old 90g tank.. but worried about glass thickness... How much would a glass company charge for a piece of glass at 48” wide by 32” tall?? At 3/4 thick?? Attached photo of 500g
  11. viper0397

Plywood build

I am wanting to build a plywood tank possibly 10’x4’x30”. Just wondering if any of you have built a tank that size and if so would you be willing to share your design with me? Could go 8’x4’x30” as well. I just want to make sure I build it sturdy enough. One of my questions is will doubling up...
  12. B

please help me with my aquarium design its driving me insane!

Hi everybody! So I am very new at all this and have never really made large aquariums before. But now I am wanting to build an aquarium that is 42 inches wide, 67 inches long and 10 inches high. I calculated that it will hold about 120 gallons of liquid (I am growing a bacteria, its not for...
  13. Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plywood build question

Hey guys, So I managed to snag a 125 gal tank with a crack in the back panel for $50 USD. It's in great condition aside from the crack. My original plan was to use the front and side panels for a plywood tank I was building but looking at it made me curious... Would it be reasonable to remove...
  14. xDestro

Plywood aquarium.. How big

Just kinda got interested in the idea of plywood aquarium and saw joeys series on how to build one but my main question is how big could you go with one? Like could you do 12ft long 4ft wide 2ft tall? (that's like my dream tank) or could u even go bigger?
  15. A

[Advice] Overflow for a 530gal Plywood Tank

Hello All, I have no idea what I am doing.... No, I kid, but this is the first time I've built a tank this big. This build is a mixture of DIY and trying out new products/technologies. I've built the tank (8' x 4' x 3') out of 2x4s and 3/4 plywood. But I wanted a massive sump and external...
  16. C

6.6'x6.6'x40" / 200cmx200cmx100cm Plywood aquarium build

Hey guys, I'm finally going to take the plunch and start my new DIY aquarium build. I recently bought my first house and it came with a Stone shed. first I wanted to build a aquarium in my living room but my girlfriend wasn't so happy with that... So I'm going to build the aquarium in the...
  17. T

Plywood bottom in a 220 gallon Osceanic

I acquired an older 220 gallon Oceanic, but it has a cracked bottom panel near the overflow and bulkhead. I looked into replacing the bottom panel with glass (1/2 inch thick) but it is very cost prohibitive. I have checked with all glass suppliers within a 150 mile radius, and the cheapest was...
  18. C

90 Gallon plywood fish tank over basement stairs

Hey guys, been out of the fisk keeper life for a while now but since we just bought a house, it's time for another tank. I'm thinking about adding a plywood tank over the basement stairwell, since this area already has a cubby built in and the basement is unfinished and will remain unfinished...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store