alligator gar

1. L

Baby alligator gar curved back/tail, please help!

Hey I need everyone’s help! I got a baby alligator gar 3 days ago and the first day he was fine I woke up the second day and it looks like his back is curved or arched. He is still swimming and fins are still working but doesn’t look like as well as before. I don’t know if he is eating or not...
  2. R

Alligator gar and an actual Gator! Possible or disaster?

Is it possible to keep a school of 3~4 ft alligator gar with caimans? Spectacled and cuvier dwarfs ones? The caimans are still small around 12 inch and planning to introduce them to the gars once they hit more or less 2 ft. Anyone tried this yet?
  3. C

Want to Buy  Looking for gars

Looking for gar to buy. Am located in Atlanta GA area Anyone know anyone who sells them around here? Would also be happy to take gar that have gotten too big off your hands thanks
  4. A

Question about alligator gar

Is anyone aware of the laws concerning captive bred alligator gar and being kept as pets in Florida or what kinds of licenses I need I have been working with fish for ten years now and monster fish for 7 I’m looking for one to put in a 15000 gal pond with some oscars ,one red tail and a paddle fish
  5. J

My alligator gar has two giant lumps on its side

I've had him for about 2months he is 6 inches. He was in a pond before and i discovered that he had these two large lumps on the side of his body so i decided to move him to the 100 gallon aquarium so i can monitor him better although i dont know what the giant lump is and how to treat it. Can...
  6. P

My 1 year old Alligator Gar does not want to eat

I've had my gator gar for about 1 year already. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed it would spit out everything I gave it. I figured it might just be full. I've been trying to feed it every few days to see if it would start eating again, but the behavior has not changed. It's been almost two weeks...
  7. xenacanth9

Does anyone have experience with albino gars?

I am somewhat familiar with platinum, melanistic, and xanthic gars (never kept them, but I've seen plenty for sale over the years,) but weirdly enough I've never seen albino gars, in the wild or the trade, other than this old picture from Big Aqua, an Indonesian wholesaler, of what is said to be...
  8. N

Looking for alligator gar in Europe (Denmark)

Hi I am looking to purchase 2 (maby 3) gator gars. I live in Denmark and I have gotten a couple of fish dealers working on finding some. I was just wondering if anyone in here knew a company that might be able to ship gator gars to Denmark ?
  9. G

Can anyone help with my gar

Hi.. I have had George my gar for 10 plus years - he would very randomly bank into tank and I mean very rarely however the last few weeks it has seemed to become a regular thing he speeds up and crashes even has a little white on his nose - I also know they tend to jump he never did attempt to...
  10. R

I just got a clown knife, can he stay with this 10" gator gar?

Can this knife fish survive this 10" gar? Please guide me.
  11. F

Gar and arowona

The gar is a bit big like twice size of arowona will it be fine to keep them together or to seperate.the tank is 90 gallon and when they do get big I will replace them to bigger tank.
  12. W

Alligator Gar Illness Unknown

Hello all! I recently got an alligator gar. It is around 15 inches but he seems to be developing some holes and whiteness on the tip of its nose. I moved him to the quarantine tank and started treating for HITH. I wanted to know if anyone has seen this before and know of a way to treat it...
  13. Jush

Different Gar?

Hi, I own 3 florida, 3 spotted & 1 alligator gar. However I have come across a melanistic tropical gar, what is a tropical gar, max size; etc? From a quick google search the tropical gar looks like a cuban gar with an alligator gar mouth/ headshape? But presuming theyre all their own kind? I...
  14. Jush

Long Nosed Gar MAX Size in Captivity?

What is a Long Nosed Gar MAX Size in Captivity? I've been told 6-7 foot, but I thought they stuck around 30 inch max similar sizes to Floridas/ Spotted gars
  15. AquaScape

New Arrivals!! Piranhas, Oddballs and More!

3” Red Belly Piranha-----$30.oo Ea. Or 4 for $100.oo 6”-7” Red Belly Piranha-----$150.oo Ea. 2.5”-3” Caribe Piranha----- $35.oo Ea. Or 5 for $150.oo or 10 for $275.oo 3”-4” Caribe Piranha-----$50.oo Ea. 3”-4” Piraya Piranha-----$150.oo Ea. 4”-5” Purple Spilo-----$95.oo Ea. 4”-5” Red...
  16. L

Baby Gar swim bladder disease? HELP

Just found my 4" Florida Gar floating on top of the tank. Looks like a swim bladder problem since it can't swim down at all. Just did a 30% water change. Tank is at 80F. What do I do? He looks so lifeless. I don't want to lose the lil guy.
  17. L

Is this normal for a Gar?

I just got a 4-5" Gar sold to me as a Spotted Gar, but after reading a bit here, it's most likely a Florida. Anyways, I just watched the lil guy go for 0/15 in his attempts to catch the 20 feeder guppies i have in the 30g tank with him before I lost patience and left haha. Dude sucks at...
  18. J

Is it possible that an alligator gar can eat another gar?

i have 3 alligator gar the biggest is about 8 — 9´´ and the two is about 5 — 6 inches. Last I saw them complete was around 8pm and an hour later my sisters boyfriend saw 2 left. I was wondering if it’s possible that the biggest alligator gar ate the smallest one or not? And the now smallest gar...
  19. J

Do gars need a substrate?

Do I need a substrate for my gar tank or can I just leave it bare bottom? Thanks in advance!! - Chris
  20. Miks786

Lost my Alligator Gar

hey guys Today sucks big time lost my Alligator Gar, don’t know what happened to him as he was very healthy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store