algae

1. S

Algae Eaters for a 75 gallon predator tank?

What algae eaters can I put in a 75 gallon predator tank? The only catch is that it NEEDS to be compatable with a bichir, ie, not eating its slime coat. This is very important as the bichir is basically the only reason im getting the tank, (I am upgrading when the bichir gets too big, however.)...
  2. Oughtsix

My experience with overdosing Metricide 28 (Fluorish Excel, glutaraldehyde) for algae.

My 180g dirt bottom planted aquarium has been cycling for about 3 weeks now. IT HAS NO FISH IN IT! Although I have other aquariums and plenty of mature bio media to harvest I opted to do go for a slow startup. When building the dirt bottom of the 180 I used a fair bit of dirt out of our...
  3. N

Possible to cycle too long?

We started out our cycle trying to transfer some good bacteria from our old tank the filter media and a little old gravel then added ammonia. The gravel is planned to be removed to go for a more natural river rock bottom. The ammonia was too high, ph was too high, we then switched tactics and...
  4. PGJE

Diatoms or Dinos?

Sorry for posting so much, I’m the ultimate noob when it comes to saltwater... anyways here are some pics of the algae in my tank, what is it? If it’s dinoflagellates how do I get rid of it? Is there a way to tell which is which, like spraying it with a turkey baster?
  5. Wyvlen

How the HECK do I get algae to grow in my tanks?

My tanks are very balanced it seems, and that used to not be the case. I used to have algae all the time, which I actually didn't mind. I just kept the front of the tank and the sides clean, but left the back with algae and wherever else. I have bottom feeders and other fish that eat it, but...
  6. PGJE

community tank after blackout

i had a huge algae problem, which i posted in an earlier thread... so, after some thinking an frustration, i decided to shut the lights of for a week, only turning them on to feed the fish. I'm actually pretty surprised it worked, but here is the final product: :)
  7. PGJE

algae!

in the past week iv'e found this algae in the community tank that grows really quickly and covers everything. it's not bad, if you scrub it off the sides, it all comes out in a big sheet, but i cleaned my tank (including a gravel siphoning) 2 days ago and got rid of all of it and now its back...
  8. Lars6

Algae in my planted tankHe

I have had an awful algae problem in my 20 gallon long since I started it 2 months ago. I started a fluval 2.0 on the tank. In the beginning, I had the light on for 10 hours. Algae ran rampid and coated every surface. String algae was everywhere. I then changed the light to 8 hours. The string...
  9. Audaxcity

Trying to get algae growing

I'm trying to accomplish a "natural" feel to my 75g with algae growing on wood and rocks. I know, weird. Problem is, the only algae I ever end up growing is BBS, green dot algae, and cyanobacteria. The BBS only sticks to plants and kills them, the green dot cover the glass, and cyano is gross...
  10. Jacob._.merc

Bichirs with tetra algae control

Is it safe to use tetra algae control with bichirs? I have a Senegal and delhezi in a 40 gallon tank with an algae problem. Is it safe to use?
  11. J

Need advice regarding Hair Algae

Hello All, I have bought some hair algae as my Shrimp got eggs. Unfortunately that Shrimp died before the eggs could hatch. So could anyone tell whether hair algaes are good to be kept in fish tank(I had kept that in separate bowl for shrimps). I am not sure whether hair algae can make the tank...
  12. B

Brown algae at bottom of bare bottom tank, does it also grow on sand?

I have a bare bottom tank. It grows brown algae on the bottom from time to time which I scrub off. If I add sand, wouldn't algae still grow on the sand at the bottom as well? How would I remove the algae on the sand?
  13. N

Stopping algae growth on white sand?

What's the best way to preemptively stop algae growth on white sand? I'll be using bright light. Plecos? UV? 6 hours of light a day? Thanks - Nick
  14. M

2 Marineland 350 & 1 C360

75 Tank remains clear, but re-occuring algae is a pain. All my rock work is covered as well. I use a PF40-UV when I clean the glass, for spore removal. Tank is currently over stocked with Cichlids, 0 ppm NH3/4 & N2; NO3 regularly climbs to 80+ppm. I know the tank size is too small for any of the...
  15. xDestro

Hair algae?? Help?

This is my very first "planted tank". 20 long Corner matten filter with media behind it 20lb of eco complete Finnex 24/7 planted+ light I just changed it so the light is on for 10 hours instead of 12 to see of that helps. Known plants, Water wysteria Java fern Anubius Possible small...
  16. Twonvito

My 1.5 gallon tank

I have a small 1.5 gallon tank. I recently added a small portion of Christmas moss, and one piece of hornwort, and a betta male. Since adding the hornwort first it multiple by 3 without lighting and my tank is now promoting green algae.
  17. Mbielek

Reoccurring Cloudy water

Hello all, so i had major algae bloom in my 75g tank that ive been battling for a couple weeks. It all started with me putting in an algae wafer for my plec to eat, and im sure because he didnt eat it all, it caused some cloudy water that i didnt like. With me being impatient, i took out about...
  18. R

Green on sides of tank?

I have noticed a build up of a thin layer of what I think might be algae on the sides of my fishtank? It looks dirty and clumpy and I really don't know what it is.
  19. M

Freshwater Algae Scrubber on 600L Oscar tank

Approximately 9 months ago I implemented a DIY algae scrubber in my 600L Oscar tank in a bid to reduce the necessity for water changes and decrease my nitrate levels. The tank had been established for over a year at this stage and I was having trouble keeping the nitrates under control. It was...
  20. Dustin0413

What type of algae is this?

I am curious to to what type of algae this is, and what to do if anything about it. The pictures do not visualize it as well as seeing it in person. L I am referring to the dark green spots on the rocks. It is slimy, and Not easily removed off rocks. I have noticed that one rock is harboring...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store