10 gallon lighting? for plants

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Does anyone know what kind of " house hold type" light bulbs that would be good for lighting my 10 gallon planted tank? I have black sand and I'll be using root tabs and flourish excel but I know lighting is the most important I know the 2 to 5 watt per gallon rule but I don't know what specs I looking for my fixture will hold two regular light bulbs not the round one but the spiral ones the round ones are too wide

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
I recommend using a dome lamp like this...

With a 6500k (or cool white) spiral CFL bulb like this...

This will give you more then enough lighting for a 10 gallon planted tank, make sure to get 6500k bulbs or a cool white CFL bulb.
OK awesome thank you for the reply, any type of specific wattage for this bulb?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
^^^^ What they said lol

Also since it sounds like you prefer using black sand you can do the following....

What I do when I want to use sand for a planted tank I do a mock layout of the tank design on paper, and figure out where the plants will go. Then I add DIY root tabs to the bottom of the tank, and add a 3" thick pile of Flourite in the spot/s where I'll placing the plants, then I'll cover (cap) the Flourite, and the rest of the tank with 1/4"-1/2" of sand.

What this does is not only help the plants root structure to grow, it also firmly keeps the place in place. Since Flourite has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which means it soaks up nutrients in the water, and release them slowly back to the plants.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store