120 Gallon Cycled, now the hard part...

uselessmidget

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Plainfield, Illinois
Hello everyone, having a tough time deciding on what to put in my 120 gallon and was hoping to find some suggestions. I want the tank to remain as bare as possible to keep a single large active predator fish clean and healthy. (I am using a canister style filter designated for tanks up to 265 gallons.) Depending on the species I would add a piece of PVC if it needs housing to feel safe.

I originally wanted just 1 large catfish but am having a hard time locating a proper species that will get nice and chunky but not outgrow this tank for some time.

Other options I have been considering is a single bass or a bowfin (if only I could locate one)

Fish im not very interested in:
Oscar
Jardini
Vampire tetra
Shovelnose#1
Bichir#2

#1: I have never really been a fan of the body shape on the shovelnosed catfish but I suppose if thats the biggest catfish I can house I might go in that direction.

#2: Perhaps theres a species im not familair with but all the bichir I have seen in person are very lethargic and just lay on the bottom. Seeing as I will only be housing 1 fish I would prefer to see it active.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You should look into a guapote species AKA parachromis such as the jaguar cichlid have a lot of personality and with the right conditions will look georgeous.
The loiselli, fredi and another red species of parachromis should definitely be considered. A large puffer could also work

Reactions: Achilles1763

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Do you plan on upgrading if needed?
I don't know how active gulper cats are but I know they don't get massive. I see people suggest these guys for 75 gallon sometimes so I'm sure a 120 would be suitable.

image.jpeg

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Gulpers are quite communal I hear so maybe a few? Would make for very amusing feeding times!!

If your not certain, have a look at a fahaka puffer. I adore mine and he is very personable as well

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Nice I havent heard of this catfish before definatly a good option thanks!
Any other cats that might fit? Are bullheads more active?
Watch some YouTube videos on gulper cats. I've seen them eat some pretty ridiculous things myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store