Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

120RR finally in the basement

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by MonsterMinis, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MonsterMinis

MonsterMinis MFK Members

Amy
      Feb 22, 2014
      After much negotiations with my husband we finally decided on and bought a tank, now for the set up process! We ended up w/ a 120RR aqueon ... Holy cow are those things heavy! I've maintained quite a few RR setups but have never actually assembled one, this should be an adventure. I plan on utilizing a 40b for a sump, but I'm not sure what I'll need for a pump or hardware. I looked at the kits but wasn't satisfied with the way they are built. The tank has 2 overflows with a 1.5" & 3/4". Iir hole in each. I want to utilize all the holes.

1. Should I use 1 pump and split the return or 2 separate? I'm leaning towards 2, incase 1 pump goes on me. And eventually once our stock outgrow the tank my husband gets it for SW... So I can run a skimmer or uv off one? Or is splitting 1 the better route?

2. I plan on doing a very basic wet/dry bio/ mech set up. What's your stands on bio balls/scrubbies/biomedias? ATM I'm in love with my bio wheels, even looked into the tide pool sumps.

Thanks for any imput or suggestions! Pics of set ups would also be welcome!

2. BigCountry

BigCountry MFK Members

Todd
      Nov 2, 2012
      Drilled on the bottom? Sounds like a herbie config.

That tank was probably setup like this:

[​IMG]

You will need to buy a return pump (I recommend a Danner Mag 9.5 or 12 for that tank and your 1.5" drain), and run that into a 3/4" pvc pipe config going back to the tank somewhere. Most people attach it to a spray bar or something . The return pump will take the water from the sump and send it back into your display tank etc.

skimmer/uv/reactors are all setup in the sump, your husband can do all that later when he switches to salt. since that is where its at! :D

freshwater, fish only, i would add a few baffles to that 40b sump and fill the middle section with bio balls. cheap and easy :D

[​IMG]

3. MonsterMinis

MonsterMinis MFK Members

Amy
      Feb 22, 2014
      100_2361.JPG 100_2363.JPG

snapped a few pics.. and the bottom picture is essentially how I intend to set-up the sump.... can the danners me split w/out damageing the pump? I'm assueming I can just T joint the return pipes?

100_2361.JPG

100_2363.JPG

4. Redearsunfish

Redearsunfish MFK Members

Jun 24, 2015
      That is a fantastic tank. Congrats!! :) I love the dual overflows!!

5. MonsterMinis

MonsterMinis MFK Members

Amy
      Feb 22, 2014
      Thanks! hopefully when alll is said and done on this no matter what the stock my filtration will be able to handle it.. i don't see my water changes changeing to keep up with the nitrates... but i'll be happy knowing i have plenty of bio-space available. should buy my cuban gar another year or 2.

6. BigCountry

BigCountry MFK Members

Todd
      Nov 2, 2012
      Ok, so both returns have 2 holes. VERY nice.

You have a lot of fun options then :D

Perhaps something like this:

[​IMG]

Ignore the sump pic, thats for a salt reef tank. :D