12x4 Plywood garage build thread

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I have to say, I was a bit skeptical back on page 1 but this turned out brilliantly! Congrats on the build mate.
Lol well thanks, It was my first build so I had my own doubts throughout the process but all turned out well.

Wow that was a fast build! I'm moving soon and my ray tanks will be relocated to the garage so the heating/winter insulation is very interesting to me.

You're not planning to section that portion of the garage off at all, even temporarily for winters? You guys may have slightly milder winter weather down in Kentucky though.
I have no plans on portioning off the garage at all. its been in the 20s so far this week (up to the 40s today). But in reality, even with it at 20 degrees outside and maybe 40 degrees in the garage once it got to temp the heater stays off quite a bit and it maintains temp perfectly. Winters can get down to single digits and the occasional negative if its a bad winter around here but that should all be past us for this year.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I did a little bit of cleaning in the garage to get rid of all the trash and scrap since it was really warm outside and while I had the garage door open I took a quick picture to show the whole thing for once.

Still slowly adding in K1 to the sump to keep cycling a bit more and more, its been a pain to find a sweet spot for its movement. That first chamber has around 300 pot scrubbers in it and realistically needs about another 300 to pack it in tightly. I have a ton of the large blue sponges to make changing them easy for cleaning as well as a ton of the blue pads. Hopefully it catches most of my solids before hitting the pot scrubbers.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Looks great! I really like the idea of the sump inside the tank. What are your future stocking plans?
I think I may have screwed up by putting it inside, lost some valuable footprint but I do like how easy it is. I've got a few rays planned but I'll leave it at that for now, don't want to say what type.

Got to say, I love the hood and how it seems to open, should make maintenance relatively easy!
I actually love the hoods, really easy to access the back of the tank and sump and honestly, I look through the top more than the front panel.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Great work man. It looks good. I'd figure out how to put some really fine filter socks in it and not rely on pads and sponges.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Great work man. It looks good. I'd figure out how to put some really fine filter socks in it and not rely on pads and sponges.
I've thought about that as well by using plexi glass instead of egg crate that currently holds up the pass and put in 4 or so filter socks for pass through

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Starting to experience quite a bit of condensation coming from the centrifugal fan. It does take quite a bit of water out of the air its sending out but it is still making the garage humid and has now I have condensation on the walls. So I am now running a dehumidifier 24/7 but humidity is still sitting at 55% give or take which is still high to me but better.

I may end up putting an dryer exhaust louvered vent exiting out of the side of the house. If I do this I know for sure I will eliminate my condensation issues but it is not something I particularly want to do.

Does anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Starting to experience quite a bit of condensation coming from the centrifugal fan. It does take quite a bit of water out of the air its sending out but it is still making the garage humid and has now I have condensation on the walls. So I am now running a dehumidifier 24/7 but humidity is still sitting at 55% give or take which is still high to me but better.

I may end up putting an dryer exhaust louvered vent exiting out of the side of the house. If I do this I know for sure I will eliminate my condensation issues but it is not something I particularly want to do.

Does anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?
I would do exactly as you stated. Vent some of that moist air out along with running that dehue and you should be good. moisture on the walls is no good.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Sorry, I skimmed to the end. My admiration for an outstanding project. I especially think the hood was a stroke of genius. Can't wait to read it more carefully.

Have you played with temperatures in the tank or in the garage? I don't have access to a calculator, but iirc lowered temperatures in either case should reduce humidity. Maybe you don't want or just can't, but if you reduce it a couple degrees in either case it might have a measurable effect.

As for other choices, yes, I'd be thinking of a fan to draw the air out of the top of the room, or an added dehumidifier. 55% relative humidity isn't yet in mold territory, so you have some margin of error, but condensation as a rule isn't a good thing to have inside any building (other than those designed for it like indoor pools.)

If you end up living with the moisture, I'd consider mold resistant water sealers on the exposed surfaces inside the garage.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store