12x6x4 Plywood Tank (Stingray Galore)

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Yes the resin is the water proofing the cloth is the structural integrity
It's what they make alloy of boats out of evin most modern wooden boats are plywood covered with fibreglass this adds strength and watertightness to the hull (don't want a sinking ship!) (Good luck finding a boat covered in pond liner tho, it would work just not as safe)

Ah ok that's brilliant, I'll have tolook further into it because that video looks fairly conclusive haha. Either way, both options are worth looking into. Thanks!!

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
not as safe? I would bet it's more about being more expensive and much more heavy. I cant imagine any reason it wouldn't be safe.

Line x is insane

This video looks insane haha. I'll have to find out about toxicity though. I'll be a bunch of rays in here and don't want to run that risk of killing them

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Might be something to note but if you watch the video to the end you will see that atho it's a spray on its applied to the water melon about a inch thick so to do a tank that thick it's gonna be a few tins... (Just as the compassion not saying you would actually need that much)

Reactions: xApostle

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Might be something to note but if you watch the video to the end you will see that atho it's a spray on its applied to the water melon about a inch thick so to do a tank that thick it's gonna be a few tins... (Just as the compassion not saying you would actually need that much)

No you're absolutely right. It's a fairly large tank so it'll need a fair bit in it and as Its my ray tank, I'm not going to message round or skimp out to save money. I've also got the other two tanks to do and the filter boxes

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
They couldn't spli
Not as safe on a boat I meant
Just because it can get a tear more easier not that it won't work
In the video they couldn't split it with an axe so I would disagree. Fiberglass is pretty weak really in comparison. I've had a number of fiberglass boats and while they are very stiff they are also very brittle.

Yes the watermelon was coated very thick but if you just want it to be watertight it wouldn't need to be thick at all....unless you want to drop your tank off a tower

Reactions: Ilawis and xApostle

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
They couldn't spli

In the video they couldn't split it with an axe so I would disagree. Fiberglass is pretty weak really in comparison. I've had a number of fiberglass boats and while they are very stiff they are also very brittle.

Yes the watermelon was coated very thick but if you just want it to be watertight it wouldn't need to be thick at all....unless you want to drop your tank off a tower
Haha definitely won't be dropping it of a tower!! In your opinion, how thick would it need to be?

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Haha definitely won't be dropping it of a tower!! In your opinion, how thick would it need to be?
I am not qualified to say....but if you are just using it to waterproof and it is not being used as structure (which would be a bad idea since it's somewhat flexible) then I would expect a solid 1/8" would be perfectly fine...maybe less. It depends on the skill of the guys spraying. You certainly don't want any thin spots but since it will be reinforced with wood there won't be much stress on it. If you go thicker than your thin spots will still be plenty thick. It's like when you build a house you build the floors much stronger than you rate them so that you error on the side of being stronger than needed.

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
I'd say that it will say on the tin how thick you would need to be I'm sure you could find a tin in the hardware store and it will say or evin on the suppliers website

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store