12x8x8

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
This is a good point, one I agree with. The only downside is, many active plant substrates are good at buffering the water down to acidic pH, which is preferred by shrimp; also they hold tonnes of nutrients for plants.

However, many would argue that trying to balance the need of plants and shrimps is a no win situation, hence why many go with easy mosses, Anubias etc.

I just ordered some dennerle Fluval substrate last night, it's inert and smaller grained in keeping with the nano theme. Only downside is no buffering, but active substrates lose that ability anyway. Be interesting to see the results!
Found this for you, looks similar to your tank; if albeit smaller perhaps

Nice! Let's see some pics of the substrate when you have it set up. I am thinking that if I do plants they'll be easy ones, so the fluorite should work fine. I am going to the LFS tomorrow to pick some up. Will see what options they have there.

That's an awesome little tank, definitely a smaller version of the one we got.

If I end up getting the black sand I am going to wash the hell out of it. Anyone have any recommendations for this other than the regular rinse, dump, rinse, dump, repeat until water is clear?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Nice! Let's see some pics of the substrate when you have it set up. I am thinking that if I do plants they'll be easy ones, so the fluorite should work fine. I am going to the LFS tomorrow to pick some up. Will see what options they have there.

That's an awesome little tank, definitely a smaller version of the one we got.

If I end up getting the black sand I am going to wash the hell out of it. Anyone have any recommendations for this other than the regular rinse, dump, rinse, dump, repeat until water is clear?
Put in a 5 gallon pail and stick hose in bottom and let overflow. Or just put directly in the tank stir it up like crazy then add only filter floss to the filter. Switch out floss the next day do a water change and your done

Reactions: JoeBoxer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Found this for you, looks similar to your tank; if albeit smaller perhaps

For a second there i thought you did up another nano tank...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
thought i'd share this find guys, for anyone considering low maintenance carpets in their nano aquascapes. Moss on pads can be purchased cheaply, i've ordered a small amount and hopefully will be able to add pics to the forum soon.

Examples like the pic below (not mine); show just what you can do with low tech aquariums, looks like an 8 inch square cube, with moss carpet pad, anubias petite; and perhaps needle java fern at the back. 8 square cube 2.jpg

8 square cube.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That looks wonderful. I am going to build a moss wall to keep the foreigners out. Or i will cover the dragon stone with it.

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store