16" Black Arowana - injuries from Fluval FX6 return nozzles

sayersweb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Every week or two the Arowana has a new injury, and the only thing in the tank that could cause them are the two FX6 return nozzles which are hard plastic. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Yea he could be getting spooked and hitting them at high speed. Do you have any fish that would nip or rub against ? I've had a problem with the choice of rock I am using with my Leichatdi rubbing it and injury himself. Possibly shorten the returns, put them in the corner, run the tube without a nozzle, lol I'd be more worried about decor or lid design. I had an acrylic lid with a silver aro and he would constantly hit the sharps edges causing problems. Hope this helps

image.jpeg

sayersweb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Yea he could be getting spooked and hitting them at high speed. Do you have any fish that would nip or rub against ? I've had a problem with the choice of rock I am using with my Leichatdi rubbing it and injury himself. Possibly shorten the returns, put them in the corner, run the tube without a nozzle, lol I'd be more worried about decor or lid design. I had an acrylic lid with a silver aro and he would constantly hit the sharps edges causing problems. Hope this helps

View attachment 1151417
Thanks for the info! His injuries are usually on top... on his head, or high up on his sides. None of the other fish bother him. I'm guessing the big Silver Dollars (Emperor and regular Red-Hooks) spook him. They will sometimes suddenly dart around and it freaks out all of the fish in the aquarium. It is a 300 gallon (6' x 30" x 32").

Funny... just today I came across a 680 gallon (10' x 3' x 3') aquarium for sale locally... and after talking with the seller it just might happen. It would be a lot easier to avoid injury in the bigger space. Not getting my hopes up, but finger, eyes, legs, arms, everything crossed! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store