1st Saltwater and custom?

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Heya

Come back to forums as we have been discussing our dream and final tank, which will require lots of research etc but could do with some tips.

Background is, we will be new to reef/saltwater (though read heavily into the topics over the last 6 years) but kept fresh and brackish water tanks in the past including unsual species (which consisted mostly of puffers). We have no tanks currently but want to plan ahead for THE tank, the one that will be permanent and perfect, I have not figured sizing yet but do know bigger is better.

The main issue we have is our fish objectives. My other half loves corals, anemones and a lot of the fish that go with a true reef setup. Myself however wants puffers (porc top priority followed by dogface) plus the other fish I tend to lean towards love eating/recking corals (some of the larger angels etc) my setup leans towards FOWLR.

So I would love to hear where anyone else has had to compromise from different angles and how it has turned out.

I have had an idea for the best of both worlds but it would mean a custom built tank route, I'm UK based and wonder if anyone has recommendations to check the tank is feasible but also gain quotes.

The tank I have in mind is a 90 degree almost V-shaped tank that could fit into a corner (so like a corner tank but the rectangular elements run along 2 walls). Then to have a divider run from the centre divide, essentially giving illusion of one long tank but it is two.

jr136

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
I had wantanbie angels and jap. Masked swallow tails in a mixed reef, no sips, with no issues. Bellus angels are a nice option too
I prefer the wrasses as they are hardy, pest controllers, and have tremendous coloring. I am not sure id go with a puffer in reef, especially if adding some shrimp or traditional reef inverts. Some have posted (other forum) success with larger angels with no picking at corlals, I can't say I ever tried as my tank wasn't big enough for them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store