2,400 gallon Arapaima Gigas Tank by JohnPTC

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
arapaimag said:
Wow you really went all out on the filtration. I am impressed. How long do you feel you can keep your arapaima's in this size of tank? I ask because I have 2 large tanks also and was concerned about keeping them in my smaller of the 2. I have owned an arapaima up to 3 years ago. She was 5'5" long when she was attacked by a tankmate and died from her injuries. She weighed 126 lbs and was nearly 4 years old. What are you presently feeding your two beauties?

how large a tank was your large giga in...i am sorry to hear about her demise.

The breeder I got them from thought their growth would slow down and might be ok in this setup.......if not the los angeles zoo is setting up an amazon display.

they are currently being feed only dry foods....a mixture of various hikari foods....they seem to be doing very well on dry foods and it is easy and safer....

john

Richie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
London, England
What the hell killed a 5 foot arapaima? Don't tell me, a pacu!

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Richie said:
What the hell killed a 5 foot arapaima? Don't tell me, a pacu!
A Large black shark burrowed into it repeatedly over a long period of time and the arapaima eventually died from the injuries

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
Awsome fish, sweet set up.... If I had to rate it 1-10 I would rate it a 15 simply awesome :headbang2

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
johnptc said:
i wish i knew.... one expert has assured me they wont get to 10 or 15 feet in this tank.......

if they do the L.A. zoo is setting up an amazon exhibit and the timing would be about right.
What expert if I may ask? He's right, it won't get to full size, you're going to stunt it's growth in that small of a tank. And check with the LA Zoo before assuming they'll take it at any size. There are alot of legal issues when it comes to zoos taking protected species like this. It took me six months to get a pair legally for my zoo.
I give props on thinking ahead though.I shake my head so many times at people who think they can handle a fish like this. They really are the most amazing freshwater giant out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store