2 month w Chuco micropthalmus

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
They look great Duanes. My Chuco has grown relatively fast, from 2.5 inches in Sept 2013 to about 8" now. It's scrappy, but most from just standing its ground with a bocourti.

2013 09_06 copy.jpg

IMG_5645 copy.JPG

IMG_1688 copy.JPG

2013 09_06 copy.jpg

IMG_5645 copy.JPG

IMG_1688 copy.JPG

Reactions: isde02

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Thanks. It's tough getting a good photo with a flash because it often washes out the spangles (like in the third pic). If I back up a little the flash is less intense and the blue really stands out. They have stunning color and it improves with age. I think mine is female but I'm not certain. I had another one a few years back that had a lot more red on the head, flank, and fins, much like yours in the second pic. Perhaps male?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
So Duanes I personally hail you as the greatest source of Knowledge in the Cichlid sections of this forum I have to ask, What is the main difference between Chuco and the old "Vieja" type grouping?
I understand that a lot of the Chuco species were formerly Vieja or other now rearranged or defunked genera.

How do they behave? A friend of mine had a very large Chuco Godmanni several years ago and it was stunning, First time I ever encountered this group of fishes. Your guys are looking great by the way, good luck with them!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have never kept godmanni, but have kept intermedia a couple times, and still have fry from the 2nd group.
First time was this variant

and in the last couple years, this one.

And yes, they have been lumped in with Vieja in the past, but were first described in 1862 as Heros, then reassigned to Chuco by Kullander in 1983, when he disassembled Cichlasoma (another genus they had been lumped in).
I have not found them to be overly aggressive, but hold their own, and not quite as vegetarian as Vieja tend to be, but more on the omnivorous side.

As of now, I have the young micropthalmus with the Madagascan cichlid Ptychochromis sp Tarantsy.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
As always thanks for the info Duanes, I used to keep my Vieja with Ptychochrimis Oligicanthus. I find that they cohab nicely with medium to low aggression American Cichlids.
The tarantsy looks really stunning, heres my old male Oligicanthus

So would you say that they are like Bocourti / Pearsi. Vieja-like but not close enough to actually be Vieja.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store