2 part question about oceanic 240 gallon

Slothnes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
So I recently got a oceanic 240 gallon 6' ×2' ×30". It's predrilled with 2 overflows, 2 drains in each that will all accommodate 1" bulkheads. What would be my best way of plumbing the overflows to a wet dry, and if anyone knows if I could run a 55 gallon as said wet dry sump, if the sump water level were set right, and there were a power loss, if just the amount that would run through the overflows flood said 55 gallon sump?

Also what do any of you suggest for Tops for the tank?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yes your 55 is fine for a wet dry. I would do a double sided wet dry where there is a drip plate on both sides if the 55 and a central return pump. this way you could just make each drain into one side. I used plexiglass glass for lids. make sure they are well fitted and you make all the proper holes on both sides as they will bow over time so you will have to flip them. or just get glass lids

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Aside from the wet/dry chamber, how many additional chambers does your sump have? Having the picture or knowing how your sump is set up will help determine what the best options are to run the plumbing and how the water will flow. Another option would be to have both drains through one wet dry and have the pump return in the other. Again, depends on how the sump is set-up.

I use glass lids that I had cut to size to sit on top on my glass cross bracing and euro-bracing. I had them cut some two-inch holes for feeding. I also have suction cups with 3" plexi rods as swivel locks to keep the lid down somewhat. I did this as one point I had a Lei Aro. IMO, it fits nice with the glass tank and no issues with warping. HTH.

Slothnes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
I'm going to be building the sump, therefore I'm really looking for what works for others who have similar set ups, and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store