20 gallon sump for 150 gal cichlid tank?

Devin VandeVelde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Hi, I'm currently in the process of setting up a 150 gallon ca/sa cichlid tank. I'm thinking of having the overflow run right into filter socks, that being my mechanical filtration and then having a large section for biological filtration filled with fluval biomax ceramic things..... Then a small section for carbon and stuff like that.... Then a last section for my return pump which will probably be a quiet one pro 4000. Being that I'm a kid money is kind of tight.... The reason for me using a 20gallon long is that I have two just laying around the house. I'm just not sure if it'll be big enough. Does anyone see an issue with my setup?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
20G is fine. Why would you think it's too small while at the same time looking at a filter that is much smaller than 20G?
You don't even need to go with chambers if you don't want to. An open tank setup will work almost as well, and better than in some designs I've seen. There's lots of good info already on site, do a search for sump and start reading.
No carbon needed usually.
You don't have a location listed, but if you live in or around the UK I'd recommend alfa grog over the fluval, it has more surface area and is much cheaper.

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
Hi, I'm currently in the process of setting up a 150 gallon ca/sa cichlid tank. I'm thinking of having the overflow run right into filter socks, that being my mechanical filtration and then having a large section for biological filtration filled with fluval biomax ceramic things..... Then a small section for carbon and stuff like that.... Then a last section for my return pump which will probably be a quiet one pro 4000. Being that I'm a kid money is kind of tight.... The reason for me using a 20gallon long is that I have two just laying around the house. I'm just not sure if it'll be big enough. Does anyone see an issue with my setup?
Something to consider is how low your overflow is in the tank and how much water that would displace incase of a power outage. Once you start filling your sump with media it will hold less than 20 gallons. If the power goes out and your tank continues to drain and you don't have enough room in the sump for excess water you will have a flood. 20G seems on the small side to me.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have a couple of these units, and they work well. For a 150gal tank, you should use at least 2 of these units....although, I would recommend 3 for optimum filtration.

Something to consider is how low your overflow is in the tank and how much water that would displace incase of a power outage. Once you start filling your sump with media it will hold less than 20 gallons. If the power goes out and your tank continues to drain and you don't have enough room in the sump for excess water you will have a flood. 20G seems on the small side to me.
+1. If you choose to go the sump route, I would use at least a 55gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store