240 cracked trim

Zhewitt04

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
I have a 240 and when moving it the bottom trim piece cracked all the way through and is separated on one end. I am not sure if this is safe to fill with water or am I going to have to replace the trim piece? I have conflicting opinions on this and am siding of notion that it is not needed. My reason is the trim is so thin it can't actually have a purpose. Let me please. Thanks

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
the purpose of the trim is not to hold the tank together, its for the tank to ride on. hold the tank up off the surface its on, so no imperfections or warping can effect the bottom pane. long as tank still ridding on that trim I think you be fine,

Reactions: millerkid519

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
never the less i would water test outside or in the garage before putting in my house.

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
If it's in question I would get sheet of Styrofoam (home depot insulation stuff) cut it to fit inside the trim, and mount the tank on that. The idea is the weight will be transferred directly from the bottom glass through the foam and into the stand, the trim will not be in contact at all and the foam will deform to accept any imperfections without breaking the tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am sorry but disagree, what you say is true for a tank that is not trimmed, like my 180. for a trimmed tank, its made to ride on the trim.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
If it's in question I would get sheet of Styrofoam (home depot insulation stuff) cut it to fit inside the trim, and mount the tank on that. The idea is the weight will be transferred directly from the bottom glass through the foam and into the stand, the trim will not be in contact at all and the foam will deform to accept any imperfections without breaking the tank.
Hello; There was a discussion about this some time ago on this site. As I recall the use of foam under some tanks will void a warranty. My take was that it will work for some and not for others.

Zhewitt04

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
My tank I bought used so no warranty for me. Is there any down sides to the foam?

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
The bottom trim is there to protect the edges of the glass. It is not holding the tank together. You don't want uneven pressure on the tank if a piece of the trim is missing. Foam will not help if part of the trim is missing, there will still be uneven pressure on the tank.
Repair the trim or remove it totally is what I would do.

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
The bottom trim is there to protect the edges of the glass. It is not holding the tank together. You don't want uneven pressure on the tank if a piece of the trim is missing. Foam will not help if part of the trim is missing, there will still be uneven pressure on the tank.
Repair the trim or remove it totally is what I would do.
The foam is not to be in contact with the trim. It should be in direct contact with the bottom pane of glass and the stand. The trim is really just there to protect the edges of the glass which are very susceptible to damage and if it's braced to hold the glass from bowing.

I don't know why a manufacturer would void a warranty for mounting a tank like this. My only guess could be people were putting foam under bottom braces and cracking their tanks in half. It makes good sense to me that transferring the weight of the tank over several square feet of area is a better idea than transferring it over a 1/2inch strip along the outside. I know their build to do this but it seems odd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store