240 stand

alotadollars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
kent wa
ok so i am upgrading from a 145g to a 240g i have to build a stand, i am using a drawing from another build. as i am building the tank and calculating the weight of over 2000 pounds, i need to know if i need to reinforce my floor, it is going across the beams and on a outside wall, anyone know if i would be ok not to reinforce the floor or should i

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
alotadollars;4287607; said:
ok so i am upgrading from a 145g to a 240g i have to build a stand, i am using a drawing from another build. as i am building the tank and calculating the weight of over 2000 pounds, i need to know if i need to reinforce my floor, it is going across the beams and on a outside wall, anyone know if i would be ok not to reinforce the floor or should i
Only a structural engineer who inspects your house can answer that question definitively for your house. I've heard of bigger tanks on upper floors, but I wouldn't do it without reinforcing the floor.

The math based on a new location:
Feel free to correct it if you see an incorrect assumption. The weight is distributed across 8 feet (assuming standard 240), with joists 16" on center, you're asking each joist (6-7 depending on placement) to carry 416-357 lbs (assuming 2500lbs total weight and 6-7 joists). Since that is not the total weight each joist will carry, your situation will vary, but each joist will have to carry an additional ~400lbs every minute of every day. I would go the route of reinforcing the floor.

The math based on same location:
Assuming the 145g is a 6ft tank, it's going across ~5 joists (again, assuming 16" on center). Each joist is carrying about 290 lbs, so the increase is about 125lbs more per joist and the additional joist (6) will shoulder all 416. If you run over 7 joists, you're looking at a net increase of 70 lbs per joist plus 2 joists carrying an additional 360lbs per.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store