300 dd marineland tank blows a seam

soul_assassin

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Mississauga
I bought a 40b it was dated july 2014, the black silicone literally peeled away from the glass with a finger nail and it was bubbling like crazy. I think it was a bad batch of silicone, got a replacement and it has been good so far...

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
This thread just scared the crap out of me for my marineland 180g with black silicone.

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Marineland has had an issue with their black sealant.

I bought a 120g marineland tank lately from someone that went through the same disaster. They said once they drained the tank and started removing the old sealant, they noticed it was just disintegrating as they removed it. Its mine now so I will have to reseal it.

They contacted marineland earlier though and were told that it was a known issue and that they had recalled a lot of tanks made with the black sealant because of it. Not sure if it was a bad batch though or all marineland black sealants...

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
My dd 180 has all black silicone. Bought it last fall, no issues

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yes. The third one has clear silicone on the bottom and black silicone everywhere else.

The first two did. We're on our third one right now.
after having three of them failed I would let them replace everything, inform them this is the third failed one, and try to work out the entire package deal, tank, stand, canopy, then sell it all off and go with a 300 gallon acrylic or something different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store