$4 fader flower horn from petco?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Here's a link to the video I took on my way home.

So today I was in petco purchasing some instant ocean for the brackish aquarium I've been setting up when I decided to check out their livestock (just out of curiosity) I would usually never buy from a chain pet store where every other tank is infested with ich and no one could care less about this, but when I was looking through the rows of aquariums I saw the tag labeled "Flower horn" which caught my attention.
At first glance none of these fish even slightly resembled adult flower horns and reminded me more of what I've seen labeled as Trimacs both online and in my LFS at about that size but I just figured that's because they were young and ugly remember I am no flower horn genius let me make that clear thats why I'm here! then as I'm looking in the tank a employee comes from behind me and asks if I was going to buy a fish, before I could answer with no she pointed out one I hadn't seen before this which was hiding in the back it had more of a flower horn look to it then the others but not the coloration and she referred to it as the "the ugly one" let me point out I almost laughed when looking at the other fish in the tank, but instead thought about it for a matter of 5 seconds and told her I'd take a fish when she asked which one I wanted I responded with "the ugly one" she laughed and said this one would be cheaper since it was the ugly one apparently I made a Freind today because the fish that usually $15 only cost 3 dollars and some change at the checkout I said nothing and paid the cashier is when I realized she wrote up my fish as a dwarf gourami. Lol

So basically I just posted to share this story as well as get some insite on what this fish should come out looking like and if it is in fact a fader? I also have never kept a flower horn but is a 55 large enough for just him?? If anyone could give me some basic care as well as what to expect as far as color and or kok progression on this fish or any way I could improve or kickstart growth I'd be open to the advice

View attachment 1165213

View attachment 1165224

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Here's a link to the video I took on my way home.

So today I was in petco purchasing some instant ocean for the brackish aquarium I've been setting up when I decided to check out their livestock (just out of curiosity) I would usually never buy from a chain pet store where every other tank is infested with ich and no one could care less about this, but when I was looking through the rows of aquariums I saw the tag labeled "Flower horn" which caught my attention.
At first glance none of these fish even slightly resembled adult flower horns and reminded me more of what I've seen labeled as Trimacs both online and in my LFS at about that size but I just figured that's because they were young and ugly remember I am no flower horn genius let me make that clear thats why I'm here! then as I'm looking in the tank a employee comes from behind me and asks if I was going to buy a fish, before I could answer with no she pointed out one I hadn't seen before this which was hiding in the back it had more of a flower horn look to it then the others but not the coloration and she referred to it as the "the ugly one" let me point out I almost laughed when looking at the other fish in the tank, but instead thought about it for a matter of 5 seconds and told her I'd take a fish when she asked which one I wanted I responded with "the ugly one" she laughed and said this one would be cheaper since it was the ugly one apparently I made a Freind today because the fish that usually $15 only cost 3 dollars and some change at the checkout I said nothing and paid the cashier is when I realized she wrote up my fish as a dwarf gourami. Lol

So basically I just posted to share this story as well as get some insite on what this fish should come out looking like and if it is in fact a fader? I also have never kept a flower horn but is a 55 large enough for just him?? If anyone could give me some basic care as well as what to expect as far as color and or kok progression on this fish or any way I could improve or kickstart growth I'd be open to the advice

View attachment 1165213

View attachment 1165224
I think a 55 is good enough for one FH idk plenty of experts on. The fader looks cool it'll surprise u later on as it changes. I'm not 100% that it's a FH but experts will tell u. This is my FH fader female 1 year old 6 inches

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Can be a red devil... Looks like a few of my midevils at that age.

Possibly be a dwarf gourami :)
Lol right totally a dwarf gourami.
But no I've had 2 medevils before one was even fine with other large cichlids but Sadly I gave him away once he got to large for my aquarium I mean he was huge but this guy is completely different sorry if the video wasn't the best he definitely has coloration almost like a medevil but he has red patches behind his fins as well as some pearling and even a small noctal bump. Maybe a cross between a flower horn and something else "red devil/Midas" but he's most definitely got some sort of flowerhorn or trimac in him with his coloration along his top fin and behind his pectoral fin and also his little baby kok coming in I'll post better pics tomorrow because it's already lights out for my guys but here he's marked exactly like this but isn't a Bosnia sadly

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

View attachment 1165250

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I think a 55 is good enough for one FH idk plenty of experts on. The fader looks cool it'll surprise u later on as it changes. I'm not 100% that it's a FH but experts will tell u. This is my FH fader female 1 year old 6 inches

View attachment 1165233

View attachment 1165234
I was told a golden fader on a flowerhorn thread I posted on another site for flowerhorns I just thought I'd show the fish after having him for a while in better water being fed better and under better lighting

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store