40 gallon planted (pics)

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
Here's a picture of my 40 gallon planted.

Just added CO2 this week. I'm excited to see how that changes things.

Have a few succulents set up under the tank and a small LED set up for the pothos.

Tank has a 42'' ZooMed LED HO light. Do you think I would benefit from one more of them?

tank.JPG

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
Currently growing out 8 clown loaches in here before they go to a 180 gallon. Also have 7 black neon tetras, pictus catfish, dwarf orange crayfish and a albino bristlenose pleco.

Reactions: Fish100

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Very nice!
Why the pothos? If Im not mistaken, pothos will take the food source for other plants. I had to remove mine because my ground plants started dying on me after about 6 months. They picked up about 3 weeks after I removed the pothos. Maybe it was just my setup but I think pothos are a bad combo with planted tanks.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Looks good. Nice clean and aesthetic layout.

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
Very nice!
Why the pothos? If Im not mistaken, pothos will take the food source for other plants. I had to remove mine because my ground plants started dying on me after about 6 months. They picked up about 3 weeks after I removed the pothos. Maybe it was just my setup but I think pothos are a bad combo with planted tanks.
Wow I never really thought of that. That's a great thought, I had them in there because I love the thought of a plant growing out over the top of the water. I will pull them out and see how everything looks after a few weeks

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I mean you can always just add fertilizers to keep all the plants well fed anyways, although the pothos will outgrow everything ever and take up most of the resources due to being a fast growing plant with access to a lot of light and a lot of co2 (from the atmosphere mostly).

Bercume3

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2015
Could someone please suggest a good high end light fixture for this tank. I bought a 36 inch zoo med LED and as you can see it's terrible. It didn't even light the entire tank.

I'm also wondering how many hours a day I should be lighting the tank and injecting co2. I'm having a problem with green algae and would like to get rid of it. I've been doing one bubble per second for the co2 and usually 10 hours a day with the lights and co2 one.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I have the Zoo Med dual T5 light on a 29 gallon planted refugium fed off the sump from my 180. Seems to be growing plants well. I use their Aqua Sun and Flora Sun bulbs. I don't use a glass top, so no light loss from passing thru glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store