400 gallon Glass Build

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
This is my Glass build from old Tanks I cut up and salvaged the glass from. The tanknis 6ft x 4.5ft x 2ft tall. The only new piece is the front panel. I built the stand with 2x6s, the floor of the tank is two pieces joined, one piece 30 inch x 72 inch the other is 24 inch x 72 inch. Silicones used is, GE SCS 1200. I also used corner clamps for the first time and really liked them..

I still have to add euro bracing and drill holes.

If you notice there is a hole on the bottom which is going to be plumbed to my sink drain for a quick release water change drain.

IMG_20151101_105342.jpg

IMG_20151102_153842.jpg

IMG_20160220_161252.jpg

20160326_164549.jpg

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Very nice. This makes me jelous to see.
Do you think that bottom is going to hold up alright. I have thought of this but was not sure on how it would work in the long run
Thanks, I forgot to mention a piece of 5/8 6x2 sheet of glass will be "caping off" the joint. What could happen?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
No bare bottom. Will be sand. Once I put the cap on the joint on the bottom 50 percent of that bottom will be 1 1/4 inch thick. Im thinking the bottom is stronger then if it was one piece of 5/8s thick with out a joint.

See because of this joint my main concern was to build the stand with extra precision. My stand floor hand to be 100 percent flat with minimal flex, so that the glass bottom lays completely flat on the floor of the stand. This will make all the weight of the water distribute evenly so there is no point loads on one specific spot. This was the challenge for me as lumber as you probably know ;) is not perfect. Also all cross joists are doubles and the butt joint falls right on top of a double joist as well.

This is now my 4th glass build. If i had not played aroumd so much with glass and silicone and tearing apart tanks, i would probally wouldnt have built this out of fear. To be honest as I have mentioned before, we all put way less faith in the strength of silicone to glass then we should. As long as you create the right bond it's as tough as hell.

Reactions: davenmandy

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Always like to see something different...well done and nice work so far! Glass is heavy, but assembling on spot is def. the way to go. Should hold up for many yrs to come for ya. Ive never been well versed in all glass builds but they seem to stand the test of time longer than most materials used for diy builds these days. Cant wait to see to see it full :)

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Always like to see something different...well done and nice work so far! Glass is heavy, but assembling on spot is def. the way to go. Should hold up for many yrs to come for ya. Ive never been well versed in all glass builds but they seem to stand the test of time longer than most materials used for diy builds these days. Cant wait to see to see it full :)
Thank you, yes very very heavy lol. Still have to move it to the back left lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store