470 Gallon Plywood Build

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I have wanted to do this for a while now, and finally got started Monday. I am basically copying the DIY Kings project from youtube. I really like his projects, and his presentation.I would highly recommend watching them for any first time builders. Even if you want to go with a different construction design there are some great tips and info. My version is 8'x4'x27 and using inside dimensions should be about 470g 90% full. I have built a few stands in the past, but nothing on this scale. I have not completely settled on the filtration, but basically plan on building a 3 chamber sump setup using plastic 55g drums.(I can get them free at work). At this stage of the build the two most important things I have learned are to have the plywood cut at the hardware store, and get a number of clamps. I cut my own panels and ended up 1/8" off on the end panels even after rigging up a guide system, and the clamps are like having several extra people helping you.

I wanted to build the tank first and work on the stand during the tank build. After dry fitting the panels and realizing exactly how heavy the 3/4" plywood frame would be, I decided it would be much easier to build it in place.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Great work so far. I was worried about your stand at first but then saw that you added the "stacked" supports underneath the main top frame. That's super important as I am sure you know. Can't wait to see it come together!

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Subscribed
Thanks, at this point I am pretty optimistic that it will turn out well.

Great work so far. I was worried about your stand at first but then saw that you added the "stacked" supports underneath the main top frame. That's super important as I am sure you know. Can't wait to see it come together!
Thanks, I am hopeful that everyone will make observations and suggestions as I go. Having an underbuilt stand fail would definitely be a disaster even though it is in my garage. I have been lurking on build threads and watching videos, so hopefully I have a pretty good overview of how to do this. I am learning a lot of little things as I go that will be very useful if I attempt something like this again.

what water proofing route are you going with
Either the pond shield or max acr, I am hoping other members will help guide my decision by sharing their experiences and opinions.

The stand is more or less done. Now I have to cut the viewing panel. I was thinking about a 2.5" overlap for the glass, hopefully that is enough. My assumption is that the glass would actually provide most of the strength in the front panel.

Reactions: tomojsg

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
nice build keep em coming! also 8'x4'x27" should be more than 470
since a 8x4x2 is 480g not that it matters just wanted to point it out lol...

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
nice build keep em coming! also 8'x4'x27" should be more than 470
since a 8x4x2 is 480g not that it matters just wanted to point it out lol...
Thank you tomojsg, yeah I estimated on the low side for volume. I used the inside dimensions of 94.5"x 46.5x25"@90% full to get the 470. I am going to use a 25" glass panel and have doubled up 3/4" inch bracing at the top. I have to admit the 540 gallons I get using outside dimensions sounds a bit more impressive. Either way its pretty damn big! Dreaming about it is one thing, actually seeing it is another. You should have seen the look I got when my wife saw it. Its her own fault, she said "no more tanks" not "no more gallons" and I took down a 20g a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: monkeybike

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
ah ic ic, looking foward to the build! lol nice trade
get rid of a 20g and setup a 470 hehe.

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I used pond shield/armor on my 600 and really liked it, was very easy to work with and very durable, some say it cures to fast, if you are not a fast worker mix half at a time, I was able to do a full coat at once but it started to thicken toward the end, have everything ready and close by to save time

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
Also I used momentive rtv108 to adhere the glass the the pond shield. I used about 4 tubes but I bought 10 as I was going to do a reseal on my 300 glass. I have 6 left that are only a few months old, stored inside, they cost over $10 a tube pm me if you are intrested Id sell for half price to help out another member plus I may never use them

Reactions: robham777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store