5" Arowana Not Eating

AAQIL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Sri Lanka
HI :)
I got myelf a small silver arowana (about 5" to 6" ) yesterday. Its currently being kept in a 48 x 22 x 18 tank. but i have filled it only upto about 7 inches since the pet store that i purchesed it from asked me to do so stating that the pressure created by the entire volume of water could harm the fish.
I fed it last night with some float feed (it only had one pellet) since then it has refused to have anything else such as prawns or dried shrimps.
It keeps moving (on the surface but goes into the bottom often) about the tank and use to circle the food that i use to put in, but it never eats them. Today when i gave it some prawns cut into small pieces it took hold of a small piece and then put it out again.

Is my fish under stress??? can somebody help me please ??????? Really Worried...:(:(:(

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Stresses and not getting use with new food type, give it sometimes and it will eat again...Do not feed live if you want it on prepare foods, your Silver won't die without food for weeks, keep monitor him and keep water parameter in check often.

Reactions: AAQIL

AAQIL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Sri Lanka
Hi Ruki Rihwa and jordanroda.. :)
Thanks a lot for the advise. How often should I change the water in my tank?
I recently noticed that it keeps colliding (not that hard) on the side walls of the tank. Is there anything that i can do about it? I dont want it to injure itself.

AAQIL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Sri Lanka
I did a small water change (1") this morning and added a bit of dechlorine since there was a bit of dirt at the bottom of the tank.

AAQIL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Sri Lanka
Yes. The petshop asked me to remove the decorations saying that it could damage the fish if there were sharp edges.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Bare bottom tanks can spook these guys(constantly seeing their shadow) and potentially lead to drop eye

Reactions: AAQIL
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store