5 GPD reverse flow 4" pumice bed, nitrate buster, denitratification

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
The Des Moines area. You in Iowa city, or just a fan
I'm in Cedar Rapids in the eastern side of this giant corn field.

There's a few members out your way including C Chaz88 in Indionala and Mr. Allgood Mr. Allgood in Altoona as well as fishbum fishbum in the Des Moines area.

Last edited:

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
An update.
My tap water is 7.5 ppm nitrate, for referance. My tank has 10 ppm. With 5 gallons changed in the last 2 weeks. With 3 gallons of make up from evaporation.
30 gallon tank 5 gallon sump

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
My RFUG has a setback as my circulation pump quit working and I could not maintain anaerobic substrate conditions with out the trickle filter providing oxygen for the tank.
The pump was down for 48 hours. So far I am waiting for it to come back too life.
Today will be day 4. I was attempting to reach zero nitrates, if even possible?
Mostly looking for the equalibream level of nitrate ppm.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Update. On denitratification.
Reconfigured the 1 gpd denitrator into round cylinders. It is gravity powered and works well on 1cc of "sugar" for a carbon source , dosed weekly.
It produces 1 gallon of 0 ppm nitrate water.
In 24 hours.

The lowest I have attempted to reduce too has been 10ppm. I have been building to an 20 ppm nitrate level. Every couple of weeks with daily 1 gallon WC with 7.5 ppm nitrate tap water.
At 20ppm I sugar dose 3cc, and it drops to about 10 ppm in 24 hrs and stays their for a week before increasing.
30 gallon tank
5 gallon sump
600 gph wd, 200 gph hob
1 cubic ft sand/ pumice anaerobic RFUG @5gpd
78 degree F
The 6 gpd capacity also has acted as a microorganism sterilize. As the lack of oxygen kills anerobes.
The highly oxygenated tank water keeps the surface 1/2 of the substrate oxygenated enough for aerobic activity which seams to feed on the the smaller anaerobic bacteria. Preventing any noticeable blooms.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Other issues. Advice highly welcomed☺
Brown algae / diatom growth. I think this is from high silicate levels. I am thinking some Sea Chem Phosban will cure it. It just started growing this week.
I have only tested my water for the basics.
PH 8.3
KA 299.999
GH 299.999
Nitrates 10ppm

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Update
Added 1/3 cup phosguard. A few days ago.
Started using an oxygen reduction potential ORP milli volt meter to watch denitrator with.
It's has taken a lot of the guess work out it.
Over the last month nitrates ranged from 10ppm to 18ppm. Currently at 7ppm.

I have increased the 1 GPD denitrator to 4.5 GPD. Actually I was going about 2 GPD as my drip ratio to GPD was flawed. With my drop size. As the orifice gets smaller from crude the drips will get smaller.
I have started guageing it into ml/ min.
The under gravel denitrator flow rate has all ways been accurate at 5GPD as it was too fast too count drips. It had to be measured in ml/ min.
I increased the UG denitrator to 12 GPD. So I will see how the numbers go running it at about 16 GPD. From 7 GPD last month.
Current fish
6- 2" African cichlids
3 - 3" Iowa creek chubs

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
1451663015882.jpg
1.5 gallon canister denitrator
Cost to build
Canisters recycled from trash free
1/2 pex tube $2.00
Pumice substrate. $15.00
Pre filter $5.00
IV Drip $2.50

In flow is tapped from circulation pump. Pre filtered thru poly fiber.
Then to IV Drip regulator. Medical IV Bag type.
The drips go into 1/2" pex pipe in center of cylinder. Which has a small cage on the bottom to keep the pumice from plugging it.
Flows up thru 3/8" pumice.
Any gas build up gets vented to the open surface.

The water then gets overflowed siphoned, through airline tubing inside the larger tube in the photo. Into a 1/2 gallon cylinder full of 1" red lava rock. Thur 1/2 pex to the bottom and flows up. It then goes out through a piece of airline tube into the sump.

When I first built this thing I knew nothing about coil denitrators. Only industrial stuff and sulfur denitrator. This is more of a " live rock, deep sand bed configuration.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Update.
The 1.5 gallon canister denitrator. Is now flowing at 4.5 GPD. With real time digital displayed ORPmv measurement.
The RFUG is flowing at 12 GPD.
Nitrates are at 6ppm
Water is crystal clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store