50,000 + 15,000 Gallons Mega Tanks Videos Thread

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
The water changes vary. Often I will use a constant flow into the big tank of between 2 to 3,000 gallons per day.

However if needing water for other tanks might just do a 5 to 10,000 change when the water is available.

The smaller tank gets similiar changes just with about 1/3 the amount of either.

I have a large number of foods I feed the big tank but the majority (90%) of the them consist at present of:

smelts once a week (11 pounds) That's the size of the boxes they come in.
makeral twice a week (between 10 and 20 pounds) I get the in 25 pond boxes
Martins trout/catfish and koi sinking and floating pellets varying from 2 to 7mm twice a week (4 to 5 two pound margerine containers) A buy them in 40 to 50lb bags.
Wardleys flake food twice a week (several two pound margerine containers) I buy them in 25 pound boxes.

I feed a variety of other foods in lesser amounts or not as often. Red tail cats and the pacus need/enjoy vegetables and fruit. So I often throw in green beans, grapes canteloupe, bananas etc.

The pacus and brycons also enjoy dog food pellets and horse treats.

I feed a variety of other fish when available like trout, herring canadian white fish.

Sometimes I feed table shrimp and oriental white shrimp ( a mainstay of my fire and tire track eels kept in other tanks) and whatever else I feel they might enjoy that I have available.

There are a lot of cichlids in both tanks breeding faster that they are being eaten.

There has been an explosion of cichlids this past year in the big tank and I think it is because a couple of my 3 foot catfish can no longer be found. Probably killed by the Wallago leerii's.

The cichlids provide good exercise and a healthy food source.

My other tanks get a variety of the foods mentioned. The 15k gets smelt 2 times a week (mainly for the gars and the arowanas).

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
The water changes vary. Often I will use a constant flow into the big tank of between 2 to 3,000 gallons per day.

However if needing water for other tanks might just do a 5 to 10,000 change when the water is available.

The smaller tank gets similiar changes just with about 1/3 the amount of either.

I have a large number of foods I feed the big tank but the majority (90%) of the them at present are:

smelts once a week (11 pounds) That's the size of the boxes they come in.
makeral twice a week (between 10 and 20 pounds) I get the in 25 pond boxes
Martins trout/catfish and koi sinking and floating pellets varying from 2 to 7mm twice a week (4 to 5 two pound margerine containers) A buy them in 40 to 50lb bags.
Wardleys flake food twice a week (several two pound margerine containers) I buy them in 25 pound boxes.

I feed a variety of other foods in lesser amounts or not as often. Red tail cats and the pacus need/enjoy vegetables and fruit. So I often throw in green beans, grapes canteloupe, bananas etc.

The pacus and brycons also enjoy dog food pellets and horse treats.

I feed a variety of other fish when available like trout, herring canadian white fish.

Sometimes I feed table shrimp and oriental white shrimp ( a mainstay of my fire and tire track eels kept in other tanks) and whatever else I feel they might enjoy that I have available.

There are a lot of cichlids in both tanks breeding faster that they are being eaten.

There has been an explosion of cichlids this past year in the big tank and I think it is because a couple of my 3 foot catfish can no longer be found. Probably killed by the Wallago leerii's.

The cichlids provide good exercise and a healthy food source.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Well my friends went into the tank today after I drained it down to about 20" of water
and they caught, measured and transferred to the 52,000:

2 Paratilapia aurem the smaller was 20"
the larger was 23" (1" longer than my old Parachromis dovii)
2 Pterodoras granulosus the smaller was 25 3/4"
the larger was 33" (and weighed more than 30lbs)
2 Osteoglossum bicirrhosum (South American Silver Arowana) the smaller was 36"
the larger was 38 1/2"
2 Notopterus chitala (clown knife) the smaller was 26"
the larger was 27"
1 Scleropages formosus (red tail golden asian arowana) *proposed to be changed to Scleropages aureus 28"
1 Scleropages formosus (green) * also called the Silver asian. 26"
1 Lepisosteus oculatus 34 1/2"
1 Hemibagrus wyckii 24 1/2"

As well they caught 9 Amphilophus citrinellus ranging in size from 6" to 12" and 1 Hemibagrus nemurus (Gold) all of which were placed in a 180g holding tank.

This reduced the fish (over 20") in the 15,000 that were possibly killing and eating the under 8" plecos that are needed to keep the glass clean.

So far the Wallago has not been seen to eat any of them in the 52,000.

After the fish were caught I refilled the 15,000 t within 15" from the top in a matter of 3 hours by sending the water required from the 52,000 and now am refilling the 52,000.

I want to thank my friends who helped me Terry Clements, Noel Nathaniel, Simon Luffman, Anthony McAslin, Jeff Mountjoy, Richard and Nikki Coffron.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Made a you tube video of Simon and the guys catching the Hemibagrus wyckii and measuring him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fpDdu9wJbA

Not much feeling in hands today so not a great job editing.......sorry

superleggera123

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Toronto
simon told me all about it :D
awesome work simon :D
mike how big are the wallagos?
lets hope the problem of pleco killing is solved

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
My smaller Wallago has gotten up to about 45-48" (guess from some MFK buddies) The big one is 54"+ also a guess.

With the Alligator gar being a measured 36" when put in the tank last fall it rally helps measuring the other fish. That big Tilapia is 23" so that helps also being almost 2 feet in guessing lengths of others.

Simon is a great MFK guy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store