50 gallon tank options

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Hello, I have a 50 gallon tank i have cycled for a salt water reef tank. I also have a 29 gallon tank with 4 figure 8 puffers (babes) and 3 green chromes (also babies). I think i am going to get a baby dogface puffer (the same size as the figure 8 puffers) for the 29 (until it is a few inches) Instead of that i also could, put the figure 8's, the dogface, the chromis, and a clown triggerfish into the 50. (the 50 hs a magnum 350 with a tub of cycled bioballs for filtration). My other option is to get the dogface for the 29 and get an Undulate triggerfish for the 50. I would only get the unrelated triggerfish if i could get a few tank mates for it. The undulate trigger and the clown trigger and the dogface puffer would either get a 450 gallon or a 300 gallon tank once they are too big for the 50 of the 29. I plan to keep the figure 8's and the chromis in the 50 for their life. What option would you choose if you were me. Thanks for the advice.

The 50 is cycled and empty because i cycled it for a moray eel but the day before i was supposed to pick it up it jumped out of the tank at the lfs.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I would put the puffers and chromis in the 50 gallon tank and get a small dogface or clown trigger and plan to upgrade. Both will outgrow your 50. Drill your tank or get a HOB overflow and use the 30 gallon as a sump to add some water volume and dilute the waste.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thanks for the advice. I have only had a saltwater tank of fish that are for beginner like chromis, figure 8 puffers, and others. Is the clown trigger going to be hard to keep if i am able to do water changes every other day. Also, is it hard to acclimate a triggerfish.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
No the trigger fish isn't hard to keep. You just have to make sure you have an appropriate size tank as it grows. It seems like you are into beaked fish. You should look into smaller puffers like valitino, blue spoted or toby puffers. Smaller lionfish like fu manchu or zebras will be good.

Water changes every other day is going to get old fast.

jr136

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
I would pass on a trigger for that size tank, especially the clown. It's a beauty but also vicious
Lots of options for a 50g set up a d the Valentino puffer is a good one. Will your tank have a cover? If so long nose hawk or flame hawk are cool interest in additions, blue spot jawfish, maybe something in the wrasse family which not only provide a color pop but many control nuisance pests in home aquarium

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Yes it is covered and i would get a lionfish but i am only 12 and my mom will not let me get one. I think i sm going to use a 50 sump and some rock with bacteria on it from the 29 tank. Then i will get a dogface puffer and add it with the chromis and the figure 8 puffers. I will also get a baby clown trigger. Once the trigger is in the 450 gallon (i allready have one) i will get some butterfly fish and other semiagressive fish to grow out in the 50.

jr136

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
You have a 450? Very nice. Hell with 50g, set the big one up

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Any fish below 8" will get sucked down the filter and shredded by ine of the pumps in the filter. Also my dad does not want to spend tons of money on salt to have the triggerfish die in the pump or die from stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store