55+55+29= 139 gallons and 10.5 feet long

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
the stand will be one piece and the bracing will be there. we were going to leave a 1/2" between seems to allow for a bit of flex without the glass touching, do you think we should leave less? and im almost positive the 29 and 55's have the same end dimensions, but if not, we will make it work.
the stocking isn't final yet, but its going to be his tank, and he wants to probably do a planted dwarf cichlid tank, with a few large schools of tetras and rainbows. i know i know, hardly mfk stocking, but i will see what i can do to change that :)
we have decided that a sump will be the best way to filter this tank for ease of maintenance.
comments? questions? ideas?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
There was a guy on here who did an L with 2 55's. I have thought about this but I am to lazy to remove the trim.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
I believe the 29G is gonna be just slightly narrower than 55g which could be a problem. Would just leave it w/the two 55g's. Also really don't think you want any flex at the seam. Water pressure + flex = failure point. If I were to do this I'd definitely use the wood braces on the exterior of the seams, but also incorporate glass braces on the interior to reinforce the seams where the bottom panels meet as well as the front/back panels. In any case the hardest part of this whole operation is certainly going to be dismantling the tanks w/o breaking them. It's doable, but a total PITA. Hope you guys are very very patient w/that part. Good luck, hope to see some pics soon :)

Also not sure if there is a specific reason why you guys don't want to do a plywood tank, but you'd really be getting more bang for your buck if you did.

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
haha we would love to do three 55's! but, the 29 is already drilled, and the wall it is going on is 12' exactly :(

and i have derimmed and disassembled quite a few tanks, so im pretty confident in that. a good sharp longbladed box cutter, a hot blow dryer, and braided fishing line makes it a breeze.

and i totally agree about the plywood tank being easier, and it being alot of work for a 140, but we want a project, and after he leaves this fall i will be buyuing it and using it as a room divider, so double sided viewing is requried.

construction will begin saturday, so pics sunday evening when i get home from work :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store