55+55+29= 139 gallons and 10.5 feet long

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
This is shocking that it's being built in that I've read though several threads with this idea and they stay on paper so this is the first real time of this happening for me.

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
Ocean Railroader;5061098; said:
This is shocking that it's being built in that I've read though several threads with this idea and they stay on paper so this is the first real time of this happening for me.
haha thats all i could find online too. i hope it works out

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
we're at a bit of a dissagreement. i think that the butt seems should be lined on the outside with a piece of hardwood and siliconed well together. john thinks we should use a metal piece that grips both pieces and then siliconed. i think that the metal won't allow the glass to flex as should and may cause it to break, and that the wood would be strong enough to hold it together, while allowing enough flex and cushion to keep the glass from cracking.

what do you guys think?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
MyFishEatYourFish;5063017; said:
we're at a bit of a dissagreement. i think that the butt seems should be lined on the outside with a piece of hardwood and siliconed well together. john thinks we should use a metal piece that grips both pieces and then siliconed. i think that the metal won't allow the glass to flex as should and may cause it to break, and that the wood would be strong enough to hold it together, while allowing enough flex and cushion to keep the glass from cracking.

what do you guys think?
Pick one and go for it :) No one has ever done this so take lots of pictures!

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just thought about something that will cause this to not work with the aquariums as they are now:

The way that the aquariums are put together will result in a small space between them on the bottom when the two matching end panels are removed. The bottom panel of an aquarium is 2x (with x being the thickness of the glass) shorter lengthwise than the overall length of the front and back panels while the side panels are x taller than the height of the front and back panels. The front and back panels are x shorter height-wise than the side panels. I mean, think about it, the sides of an aquarium interlock in a special way with the front and back panels on top of the bottom panel with the side panels being at the ends of the bottom panel and in between the front and back panels, so a gap that's 2x between the two bottom panels is to be expected.

For example, we'll say that you have a standard 55 gallon (48" x 13" x 20") that's made of 0.25" glass. The front and back panels will be 48" x 19.75", the side panels will be 12.5" x 20.25", and the bottom panel will be 47.5" x 13". If you were to take two 55 gallons and remove the side panels to attach them together then you would be left with a gap that's 13" x 0.5" in between the two bottom panels.

I just figured that I would point that out so that you guys can get a piece of glass or acrylic cut to put in said gap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store