55+55+29= 139 gallons and 10.5 feet long

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
Wiggles92;5063392; said:
I just thought about something that will cause this to not work with the aquariums as they are now:

The way that the aquariums are put together will result in a small space between them on the bottom when the two matching end panels are removed. The bottom panel of an aquarium is 2x (with x being the thickness of the glass) shorter lengthwise than the overall length of the front and back panels while the side panels are x taller than the height of the front and back panels. The front and back panels are x shorter height-wise than the side panels. I mean, think about it, the sides of an aquarium interlock in a special way with the front and back panels on top of the bottom panel with the side panels being at the ends of the bottom panel and in between the front and back panels, so a gap that's 2x between the two bottom panels is to be expected.

For example, we'll say that you have a standard 55 gallon (48" x 13" x 20") that's made of 0.25" glass. The front and back panels will be 48" x 19.75", the side panels will be 12.5" x 20.25", and the bottom panel will be 47.5" x 13". If you were to take two 55 gallons and remove the side panels to attach them together then you would be left with a gap that's 13" x 0.5" in between the two bottom panels.

I just figured that I would point that out so that you guys can get a piece of glass or acrylic cut to put in said gap.
thank you for all that! we have come to that problem already, but it was epected. we have a few ideas rolling around on how to solve it, but however we do, it won't be too hard. the worst that could happen is that we have to buy some pieces of glass.

and we will be taking lots of pictures :)

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
MyFishEatYourFish;5063460; said:
thank you for all that! we have come to that problem already, but it was epected. we have a few ideas rolling around on how to solve it, but however we do, it won't be too hard. the worst that could happen is that we have to buy some pieces of glass.

and we will be taking lots of pictures :)
Get a piece of glass that will perfectly fit the gap and silicone the heck out of it. Be sure to put extra supports around this part because it will be one of the weakest points on the aquarium.

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
Wiggles92;5063572; said:
Get a piece of glass that will perfectly fit the gap and silicone the heck out of it. Be sure to put extra supports around this part because it will be one of the weakest points on the aquarium.
that is probably what we will end up doing

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas

hsd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
Georgia
MyFishEatYourFish;5068133; said:
wow! not even any extra bracing. just silicone! that definitely encourages me that our design will work!
thanks a lot for that link!
Yep, if you looked at that other pic in that thread, the guy went crazy with the silicone, the glass seems siliconed to the wood as well! No way I would try that indoors, maybe in the garage.

Definitely need to have some trim to hold the tank together to keep it from bowing. Maybe on your stand make a small 1" lip around the bottom that can help 'hold' it from bowing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store