MFK Member
Aug 10, 2015
NC, US.
Hello MFK!

I have a 55 Gallon, I'm still in the process of stocking. I have:

1 2-3" Venustus
1 3" blue Hap Moorii
1 2 DragonBlood.

My Blue Hap is always chasing my venusuts, although he won't chase the dragonblood.

Also I was trying to do an all male, but now I would like to have some fish that would breed in the aquarium. What else should I add ?

I would like to add:

Red Empress
Albino Peacock
OB Peacock.
Nara Flame Tails
Ruby Red Peacock.

Thanks,

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
If you want to breed things just have one male and many females of one kind per tank. When there is females the males get a lot more aggressive and will kill each other. If you had multiple types of Peacock cichlids in your tank they would hybridize. Also, if your going to try breeding two completely different african cichlids it will work but when fish first start to breed they often are killed so the predator can eat the eggs of fry.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
3 groups, 1m/4f, only 1 peacock species, avoid having species that look similar. Stick with fish that get no bigger than 6"-7"

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
So should I go with 2 groups of haps, and 1 peacock? Can't I do just peacock tank?

Thanks,
Peacock females a hard to tell a part, which could lead to hybridization. People normally keep only one per tank.

Guerrero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2015
NC, US.
Peacock females a hard to tell a part, which could lead to hybridization. People normally keep only one per tank.
Oh I guess that makes sense...

Well I'll figure it out. If not I'll just keep throwing juveniles from different species until I get an All male?...

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Venustus, moorii and empress are too big for a 55G. If you're ultimate goal is all-male in a 55G I would buy sexed males. Ngara and Ruby Red would be good candidates. As would cobue and maleri. Then haps I'd go with electra, tetrastigma, chrysonotus and marginatus for a stock of 8 males.

Reactions: Guerrero

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Peacocks and haps do not get the "overstocked" treatment that is normally used for mbuna. They prefer more space and open water to swim. Not to mention 8 fish that are 4-6" will make a 55 look small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store